1. Do the following:
    1. Explain and answer questions about the seriousness and the size of the street and highway traffic safety problem in the United States, your state, and your community.
    2.  
      1. Make a scrapbook containing 10 newspaper articles about serious traffic crashes.
      2. List what driving and/or safety rules were violated. Tell how these crashes might have been prevented.
      3. Give one other cause which might have contributed to each crash.
    3. Tell why driving while impaired by alcohol or other drugs is such an important problem.
    4. Explain how highway design, road conditions, and roadside hazards relate to the occurrence and seriousness of traffic crashes.
  2. Describe two safety programs designed to control and reduce the serious effects of the highway traffic safety problem.
  3. Do the following:
    1. List 10 automotive features that reduce the seriousness of injuries when crashes occur.
    2. Tell why safety features are important when buying a car.
    3. Demonstrate how to adjust lap and shoulder belts. Explain why it is important to wear them at all times.
  4. Do the following to show your knowledge of car care for safety maintenance:
    1. Check operation of all exterior lights.
    2. Check operation of all interior lights.
    3. Locate a fuse or circuit breaker on the light or horn circuit.
    4. Check windshield wiper blade and smear-and-clear test. Replace the blade, if needed, and retest.
    5. Check tires for wear and proper inflation.
  5. Do the following:
    1. In a location away from traffic hazards, measure with a tape measure -- not in a car -- and mark off with stakes the distance that a car may travel during the time needed for decision and reaction, and the braking distance necessary to stop a car traveling 30, 45, and 70 miles an hour on dry pavement. Discuss additional allowance that bad weather and road conditions would require.
    2. Using a bicycle, demonstrate four safe practices common to bicycle and automobile driving.
    3. Using a chart of new international traffic signs and control devices, explain the meaning of each.
    4. Demonstrate the difference in visibility at night between a bicycle and rider properly lighted and marked with a reflectorized material and a bicycle and rider at night with dark clothing and an unlighted bicycle.
  6. Do ONE of the following:
    1. Observe, study, and prepare a report on one important community activity for traffic safety.
    2. Report on a traffic safety project in which you participated with your troop. post, or school.
    3. Report on an individual project that you carried out in promoting traffic safety.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.