Opening act: Scott McGill's Hand Farm

I decided to go to this show on the spur of the moment--my wife was out of town, and I knew I wouldn't be able to drag her along to this one anyway, so I said what the hell.

I take the train in to be cool and walk from the World Trade Center PATH station to the venue which is about a 20 minute walk. The weather is beautiful.

If there hadn't been a line of people waiting to get in the venue, I never would have found it. Wetlands looked like an abandoned building from the outside. The tickets said 8pm show, but they didn't even open the doors until nearly 9.

They move the line to the other side of the building and it was then I see this guy in a Marillion t-shirt walking around that I recognize as Pete Trewavas. I didn't get his attention though.

Finally, we're in the venue. A cool place--has an upstairs and a downstairs. Looks like the upstairs bar could hold about 300 people if you were friendly, so this was an intimate show. I grab a beer and stake out a spot next to the stage. End up talking with a bunch of the people around me who are either Marillion or Dream Theater fans about music and stuff.

The opening act was pretty good--think Rush and a jazz trio in a mad scientist operation and you'll get the sound pretty well. All instrumental, very enjoyable.

Between acts, I got to talk to Pete and have him sign my CD. What a great guy he is.

The main act was really good. I now have to get some Spock's Beard, Flower Kings and Dream Theatre. Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, and Mike Portnoy are great musicians. The set was mostly songs from the band's album, and then covers of the Beatles, Genesis and such, with one song from each of the representative bands.

The only problem is that the show got out so late I couldn't get my train home from Newark and had to spend fifty bucks on a cab. It was worth it though.

mrichich's Tour History Metanode

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.