The "Triplets" was the moniker given to the Dallas Cowboys's (NFL American football) trio of quarterback Troy Aikman, running back Emmitt Smith, and wide receiver Michael Irvin. All three were among the league's best at their respective positions and helped lead the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowls in the 1990s.

The Cowboys selected Irvin out of the University of Miami in the 1st round (11th overall) of the 1988 NFL draft. Aikman (UCLA) was taken 1st overall the next year, with Smith (University of Florida) being selected 17th overall in the 1990 draft.

The Cowboys were a horrible 1-15 in 1989. Three seasons later, they were Super Bowl champions. The Triplets would lead the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles in 4 years (Super Bowl XXVII, Super Bowl XXVIII, and Super Bowl XXX).

Smith would win 4 NFL rushing titles, and become the all-time leader in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. He was honored with 9 Pro Bowl selections (1990-1995, 1998-2000).

Irvin led the league in receiving yards once (1991) and had 7 1000 yard seasons in 8 years. He was a five-time Pro Bowler (1991-1995).

Aikman ended up 19th all-time in passing yards and, while never had spectacular numbers, was the ideal captain to steer the Cowboys' offense to success. He was named to 6 straight Pro Bowls (1991-1996).

In the past few years, the Indianapolis Colts' trio of quarterback Peyton Manning, running back Edgerrin James, and wide receiver Marvin Harrison have also been called The Triplets for their own successes. They have a long way to go to match the "original" Cowboys triplets.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.