Tromp is a verb meaning to hike, step, stomp, or beat. It first appeared in 1892, apparently as a variant of tramp; from this sense we get the meanings of 'to walk around' and probably also the parallel to 'tramp down', i.e., to pack down or compress by stepping on. It is unclear if this is also the source of the meaning 'to give a physical beating to' and 'to defeat decisively', which may be influenced by stamp, stomp, and/or trump.

While tromp is a perfectly cromulent word, its comparatively recent origin and semantic commingling with many closely related slightly silly sounding words (-mp is an uncommon enough ending to sound odd) makes it sound informal and perhaps a bit child-like. Most writers and speakers will choose a stronger word unless they are trying for an informal tone.

Tromp (?), n. [F. trombe, trompe, a waterspout, a water-blowing machine. Cf. Trump a trumpet.]

A blowing apparatus, in which air, drawn into the upper part of a vertical tube through side holes by a stream of water within, is carried down with the water into a box or chamber below which it is led to a furnace.

[Written also trompe, and trombe.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Tromp, Trompe, n. [See Trump a trumpet.]

A trumpet; a trump.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.