It was a little before eight in the morning and I was driving to work on a drizzly June Monday. I was feeling pretty upbeat, especially for a Monday morning. This was because I was going to get into work nice and early and I was planning to be a paragon of focus.

As I crested a hill on Valley Vista Drive, I noticed a car ahead of me stopped to make a left turn. Since it was a two-lane road, I slowed and then stopped behind them. A little part of my mind said "You should pull off onto the shoulder and go around them." I thought this would make me a twit and continued waiting.

The wipers, set on interval, swept tiny rain drops off my windshield a few times. I got bored of the local radio and put on Static X. The part of my mind repeated "You should pull off onto the shoulder and go around them." I rolled my eyes. I had all the time in the world. I would not be a jerk.

After a few more moments, I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw a red car crest the hill. I shrugged and listened to I'm With Stupid. I looked again and it was coming up pretty fast. I tapped my fingers to the beat. I looked one more time and realized there was nothing I could do.

The red car slammed into the rear end of my car. I stood on the brakes. I still slammed into the car that had caused me to wait.

So, the next time you get a hunch, don't be an idiot like me. Trust that hunch, and you'll probably find it was correct.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.