I would have a very difficult time deciding between the two if I was ever confronted with this dilemma.

I would be curious as to what the truth is, but also afraid of it. I would be afraid of it because it is an unknown. It might be something that could ruin me for life or cause considerable damage. But I must also think that it may be something wonderful and amazing, or at least something I would be better off knowing, but since I don’t know if the truth is good or bad, I don’t know if I want to know it or not.

Happiness on the other hand, is something I’ll always like, and never be afraid of.. However, I must be sure that I am truly happy, and not just think I am. If I just think that I’m happy, but actually have something bothering me, nagging my mind, or worrying me, then I am not truly happy. In that case, I must decided whether or not I want to confront the truth in hopes that it will make me happier.

This confrontation has been the subject of many forms of media, and the best example I can think of right now is The Matrix. Would you rather stay in your ignorant and content state, or do you wish to know the dirty truth. Which will you take, the red pill or the blue pill?

Another example I can think of now is the Garden of Eden as described in the first book of the Bible, Genesis. Adam and Eve could have stayed in complete happiness, but the devil tempted them into wanting to know the truth.


Some things to think about:
Ignorance is bliss
Is ignorance bliss?
Ignorance is not bliss
intelligence vs. happiness
true happiness
and the truth

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.