United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2758 (XXVI)



THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,

Recalling the principles of the Charter of the United Nations,

Considering the restoration of the lawful rights of the People's Republic of China is essential both for the protection of the Charter of the United Nations and for the cause that the United Nations must serve under the Charter.

Recognizing that the representatives of the Government of the People's Republic of China are the only lawful representatives of China to the United Nations and that the People's Republic of China is one of the five permanent members of the Security Council,

Decides to restore all its rights to the People's Republic of China and to recognize the representatives of its Government as the only legitimate representatives of China to the United Nations, and to expel forthwith the representatives of Chiang Kai-Shek from the place which they unlawfully occupy at the United Nations and in all the organizations related to it.



1967th plenary meeting
25 October 1971


2758 is the resolution that removed the Republic of China (ROC/Taiwan) as the offical representative of China, a position it held since the creation of the United Nations. The action, was a hotly contested topic for more than 20 years, before culminating in a week-long debate that lead to the historic explusion.

Although not firmly supported by the United States, on September 16, 1971, President Nixon announced that the nation would support the admission of the People's Republic of China into the U.N., but that it would not vote to oust the Republic of China. This statement, clearly influenced by Nixon's attempts to revitalize U.S.-Sino relations following such actions as the lifting of the ban on trade with mainland China, and referring to the People's Republic of China in press releases. However, such opinions, were not felt by all. U.S. representative George Bush, said that Henry Kissinger's presence in Beijing during the crucial decision helped undermine the American policy. Indeed, 4 days after the vote, the United States Senate defeated the 1972 foreign aid bill that had allotted $141 million for the United Nations.

Since the 1971 expelling, the ROC has made more than 60 unsuccessful bids to regain, or have its own seat in the United Nations. Also, the ROC representatives walked out of the General Assembly on orders from Taipei in an effort to save face just before the votes were cast. Supposedly, it was they who chose to leave, rather than be expelled.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.