III. Field of Play

  1. The field of play is a rectangular area with dimensions as shown on the accompanying diagram.

          +-------+---------------+---------------+-------+
       ^  |       |                               |       |
       |  |       |                               |       |
       |  |Endzone|        Playing Field          |Endzone|
     40yds| /Goal | .          Proper           . | /Goal |
       |  | Area  |                               |  Area |
       |  |       |                               |       |
       v  |       |                               |       |
          +-------+---------------+---------------+-------+
          <-25yds-><------------70yds------------><-25yds->
    
    The period (.) marks the Brick Rule Mark, 10 yds from Goal line. The plus sign (+) indicates the location of cones to be placed ON the boundary lines.
    A variation of this basic structure may be used to accomodate special competitions, number of players, age of players, available space, etc. Lined fields are not necessary for the purposes of practice or other non-formal games of Ultimate.

  2. The playing field may have any surface (although well trimmed grass is suggested) which is essentially flat, free of obstructions and holes, and affords reasonable player safety.

  3. The playing field proper is the playing field excluding the endzones.

  4. The goal lines are the lines which separate the playing field proper from the endzones and are part of the playing field proper.

  5. The perimeter lines (sidelines and endlines) are not part of the playing fields.

  6. The corners of the playing field proper and the endzones are marked by cones made of a brightly colored, flexible material.

  7. An additional restraining line is established five (5) meters away from the entire field to ensure that the sidelines remain clear during play.

  8. All lines are marked with a non-caustic material and are between two and four inches wide (2"-4").

    Back to Table of Contents

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.