From The Rock 'N Roll Capital of the World to the city that's Always Turned On, US Route 322 is a miniature scale, low-budget version of US Highway 80. That is to say, the only similarities are that both go roughly East-West and are intended for motor vehicle travel.

US 322 is one of the oldest highways in the United States. In fact, it is one of the original highways from the 1932 system. It is currently a spur of US 22, and crosses Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. It intersects with almost a dozen other Highways, Interstates, and Routes, starting with I-90 in Cleveland and ending with US-40 A.K.A. the Black Horse Pike in Atlantic City.

You, unwary traveler, will not find the world's largest ball of twine on 322, but you may find a few other wide spots in the road, including:

On the far East end, just outside the last gasps of the Cleveland suburbs, it blows right through the largest Amish communities in Ohio, and in fact most of the Midwest, which are several townships on the west side of Orwell. You'll likely pass some buggies on your way to the OH/PA border, which has a view of the Pymatuning Resevoir, a converted swamp that is part of two state parks.

In Pennsylvania, you're likely to see Conneaut Lake, a decent lake by all accounts for fishing, but supporting only a tiny town of less than 800 people as of the last census.

You will pass through Franklin, Pennsylvania, one of many PA towns named after their most famous person. If you're there during the last full weekend in September, you'll encounter Applefest, the largest arts and crafts fair in the Midwest.

Beyond this, in the near geographical center of the state, 322 passes directly through Philipsburg, Pennsylvania, a borough of 3,000 people founded in 1776. The intersection of US 322, PA 350, PA 504, and PA 53, it also lies in the shortest path between I-80 and I-99. There is a modest historical downtown.

You will cross the Appalachian Mountains. As you do so, consider the often-missed novelty of being able to do something with utter triviality that in fairly recent human history was more hazardous by percentage of casualties than going to the Moon has been.

Next is a gradual descent into Pennsylvania Dutch Country, a semi-formal designation for the area that by the American Revolution had already achieved a (relatively) very high population density of Lutheran and various German Christian sects, such as the Amish and Mennonites, but also German Reformed and Moravians.

The next major event is a crossing the world famous (ha, ha) Commodore Barry Bridge over the Delaware River into New Jersey.

Until Atlantic city, there's nothing, particularly, of note other than various areas that proclaim themselves to be historical based on the fact that people have been living there for a while. And even when you get to Atlantic City, well... Good luck. The best attraction I can recommend is the airport, where you can buy a ticket out of there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.