A route following a chain of streets, roads, and highways from Park City, Utah, just east of Salt Lake City, to Atlantic City, New Jersey, passing through some of the United States's largest cities along the way.

In the Eastern US, US 40 follows the course of the first federally-funded highway, the National Road, which stretched from Baltimore to Vandalia, Illinois.  During the last of the 18th  century, and the 19th century, the country's center of population followed the road westward.

US 40 was constructed during the 1920s and 1930s, and was, for a time, one of the principal routes used for crossing the United States.  That is, until air travel and the Interstate Highway System supplanted it.  US 40 is now chopped up by interstates, principally I-70, which often carries US 40 as an additional designator.  In other places, US 40 parallels the interstate along surface roads with abandoned roadside attractions and decaying strip shopping centers, as well as tony suburbs and Wal-Marts, as well as the small-town downtowns they strangle.

Utah
Colorado
Kansas
  • Wallace
  • Oakley (I-70 again)
  • Hays
  • Salina
  • Abilene
  • Junction City
  • Topeka, free of I-70 for awhile
  • Lawrence (6th street, then Massachussetts Avenue)
  • Tonganoxie
  • Kansas City, Kansas (State Avenue)
  • Missouri
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Ohio
    West Virginia


    Northern panhandle, 9 miles total.

    • Wheeling (Market Street, then several roads I can't identify)
    Pennsylvania
    Maryland
    Delaware


    14 miles total

    New Jersey

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.