Commissioned in 2286, the USS Enterprise-A was a refit of the Constitution Class Starship, becoming an Enterprise Class Starship1

The Enterprise-A was commanded by Captain Kirk, with first officer Commander Spock until decommissioned in 2293.

The two most notable missions undertaken by the Enterprise-A are the journey to the center of the galaxy after being captured by Sybok (Laurence Luckinbill) at Nimbus III in 2331 (Stardate 8454.1) (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier) and failing to escort Chancellor Gorkon (David Warner) to the Khitomer Peace Conference in 2293, though the crew did manage to stop the assassination of the President of the United Federation of Planets. (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)

The USS Enterprise-A was an MK IX Heavy Cruiser with a crew of approximately 430 and had a max spead of Warp 9.5. (old warp scale)

1 An interesting note: The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) was a Constitution Class Starship thus making Enterprise Class Starships perhaps the only class named after a ship of a different class. This class is also called the Constitution II Class.

Additionally, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Scotty views a blueprint of the "Enterprise" and it's labeled "Constitution Class."

It all depends on who you want to believe. According to Paramount Studios, the NCC-1701-A is a Constitution-class ship, originally named the Yorktown (this is the the theory favored by Gene Roddenberry). As the story goes, the Yorktown was damaged during the Whalesong Crisis (ST4: The Voyage Home), and was later repaired and renamed in honor of Captain Kirk.

In his book "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" (definately not canon, but who cares anyway, it's still Star Trek), however, Shane Johnson states that the ship that was renamed was actually the Ti-Ho, a new-build ship. (This theory, to my knowledge, is not favoured by anyone, with the possible exception of Mr. Johnson himself).

To further confuse things, the book "Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One" (still not canon) by Todd Gunther states that the new-build ship that was renamed was actually the Levant (This theory seems to be the one favoured by many treknologists).

According to Roddenberry and Johnson, the NCC-1701-A was a Constitution-class ship. Gunther states that she was Enterprise(II)-class, as the 8 Constitution- and Constitution/Bonhomme Richard-class vessels upgraded from 2268 onwards (including U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701) were called the Enterprise-class.

The following specs were shamelessly copied from "Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One" by Todd Gunther.

Displacement:
211,500 metric tons standard.
Length:
304.8m
Beam:
141.7m
Draft:
71.3m
Propulsion:
Two LN-64B Mod 3 dilithium-energized antimatter linear warp drive units, Two RSM subatomic unified energy impulse units, QASR particle beam maneuvering thrusters.
Velocity:
Warp 9 standard, Warp 13 Maximum.
Duration:
5 Earth years standard, 25 Earth years maximum.
Complement:
510 (74 officers + 435 crew).
Phasers:
6 banks of 2 each - RIM-15A independent twin mount, 6 banks - RSM-20B single mount.
Photon Torpedoes:
2 tubes - Mk 70 Mod 2 direct.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.