The original parish church of Umeå was built some time in the mid-seventeenth century. In 1720 the Russian army invaded northern Sweden and burned it down, also looting the graveyard. A direct copy of the destroyed building was constructed in 1725, to which a steeple was added in 1852 to replace a demolished bell tower.

On Christmas Eve 1887, the church was destroyed by fire. The following year, the rest of the city burned too. Despite this setback, local architect P O Lindström was commissioned to build a new church, and the current structure was consecrated in Advent 1894. It is a large neo-gothic building in red brick, overlooking the town square on the north side and the river Ume on the south. Initially there was no central aisle, but this has since been changed, creating a very English feeling church.

There is a small chapel known as the Little Church behind the high altar, which is used for morning prayer and other minor rites. On the walls of the Little Church are tapestry hangings depicting scenes from the Bible. The High Altar itself is surmounted, in the usual Swedish fashion, by a carved altarpiece. This one depicts the Crucifixion with Mary and John at the foot of the cross, and an angel with a book overhead.

The ceiling in the crossing is adorned with paintings depicting the evangelists. The stained glass windows in the chancel are original to the building, and are of a type not generally seen in mainland Europe due to wartime damage. On the southern, riverward side is a two-level extension with a refectory, which is also used for receptions and choir practice. There are two pipe organs in the main building - a small one by the high altar, and a large one at the back.

Other churches in the parish are St Staffan's, Västerslätt; Helena-Elisabeth, Holmön, which is now at the Gammlia open-air museum; Holy Cross; and the new church at Ersboda.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.