Ummagumma is Pink Floyd´s double album from 1969. One disk was live and the other was a set of 4 studio contributions. Each member of the band (Roger Waters - bass & vocals, Nick Mason - drums, Rick Wright - keyboards, and David Gilmour - guitars & vocals) wrote one song except for waters who had two.

Pink Floyd was at the time shaking off the influence of crazy diamond Syd Barett and moving into an age when their music would be dominated by Waters and Gilmour. The live album is simply incredible - capturing much of what made PF so unique. I mean compare this with any of the work of Hendrix, the Doors, The Beatles or nearly anyone else at the time. Two words: pure psychedelia.

The studio album also is quite interesting, though not as good as later works such as Meddle and Atom Heart Mother. It´s far less developed and focused. Mostly this I believe is due to the rather shocking loss of Barett and the ascention of Waters as the primary influence. That and each track was a sort of solo project.


DISC ONE
Recorded Live at:
April 27, 1969 at Mother's Club in Birmingham, England
May 2, 1969 at the Chamber Of Commerce in Manchester, England

Astronomy Domine
Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
A Saucerful of Secrets

DISK TWO (Studio Album)
Sysyphus (Rick Wright)
Grandchester Meadows (Roger Water)
Several species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict (Roger Waters)
The Narrow Way (David Gilmour)
The Grand Vizier's Garden Party (Nick Mason)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.