A prime time collection of hard-asses. Marines single handedly held off the Japanese (along with the un-sunk portion of the navy) during WW2 while Uncle Sam was busy putting its resources into Europe. They had outdated equipment, and they were under supported. Upon reaching a point where they could get some resources, they pushed the Japanese island by island all the way out of Okinawa.

The Marines also ruined Stormin Normin's plan in the gulf war by kicking the Iraqi's asses so hard that they sent them into a retreat before the main army could get around behind them in the so call hail mary. The Marine attack was only supposed to be a diversion.

Marines pride themselves in marksmanship, and toughness. They have a long tradition, and you will have it yelled at you thoroughly if you join up. You will also do pushups for hours at a time, stand at attention for days at a time, and run for months at a time. So give your heart to Jesus and your ass to the corps. Semper Fi.

US Army | US Navy | United States Marine Corps | US Air Force | US Coast Guard

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
-- Ronald Reagan

The Few. The Proud.

A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.
-- Admiral David D. Porter

The USMC is one of the smallest branches in the United State Military (second to the Coast Guard), with approximately 150-200 thousand active duty soldiers at any given time. Marines are active on land, air, and sea, though are most active on land and water. Marines are closely tied to the US Navy, and in fact receive their paychecks from the Department of the Navy. Everyone in the Marines has a specific job. Some work behind a desk. Others work in the mess hall. Still others drive tanks. But when it comes down to it, every Marine is a rifleman - hence the Marine's Creed.

Past and Present...

Mottos

Slogans

A.K.A.

Mascot

Other

History

Goddamn it, you'll never get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!
-- Captain Henry P. Crowe (Jim Crowe)

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress passed a resolution to raise two battalions of marines to serve the colonial fleet. During sea battles, if two enemy ships got close enough to each other, it was the marines' duty to board and attack the other ship's crew. Marines also served as the landing parties for the navy once the ships got close enough to land to launch an attack. They served America well until the American Revolution after which the Marines, commanded by Samuel Nicholas, went out of existence for a time. In 1798 this branch of the military was re-instated, where they served well in on the Shores of Tripoli, the War of 1812, and the Mexican War (the Halls of Montezuma). Following the Spanish-American War, the Marines started to expand and develop into a more organized force where they saw action in the Philippine Insurrection, the Boxer Rebellion, and several other countries throughout the world.

In World War I the Marine Corps earned the title of Devil Dogs for their heroic and distinguished service in numerous battles. WWI also introduced the Corps to the air with pilots taking part in bomber missions. By the time World War II begins, the Marines have a new doctrine, and specialized equipment for amphibious warfare, and its manpower peaked at over 485000 soldiers, though over 86000 were killed and wounded in this war.

Through the 1950s and 1960s, Marines played a large role in the Korean War, Lebanon, Vietnam Conflict, Dominican Republic, and were nearly sent to Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis. In the 1970s they participated in numerous NATO efforts in Europe, and organized a Rapid Deployment Force capable of responding to various needs throughout the world. In the 1980s, the Marines became largely involved in protecting US interests in foreign countries including guarding embassies, responding to terrorist incidents, and various peacekeeping missions. They also responded to several incidents in South and Central America including Grenada and Operation Just Cause in Panama.

Throughout the 1990s the Corps spent a lot of time in the Persian Gulf in Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm where close to 100000 Marines were deployed. In addition to this war, they participated in several operations in northern Africa (including Somalia) and Europe (including Bosnia) plus several rescue missions for United States citizens. The new millennium has brought much action for the USMC in the Middle East including the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in Iraq.

Chain of Command

Like all US military chains of command, the USMC starts with the president and works its way down to the lowest private.

Regular Organizational Structure

The Marine Corps uses the Rule of Three: 3 men to a team, 3 rifle teams to squad, 3 squads to a platoon, etc.

Marine or Soldier

Strength - one man or woman

Team

Strength: 3 Marines
Leadership: Team Leader - usually a Corporal

Squad

Strength: 3 Teams
Leadership: Squad Leader - usually a Sergeant or Staff Sergeant

Platoon

Strength: 3 Squads
Commissioned Leadership: Platoon Leader - usually a Second Lieutenant
Non-Commissioned Leadership: Platoon Sergeant - usually a Gunnery Sergeant

Company or Battery

Strength: 3 Platoons (plus a support platoon)
Commissioned Leadership: Company Commander or Battery Commander - usually a Captain
Non-Commissioned Leadership: First Sergeant

Battalion

Strength: 3 Companies (plus a support company)
Commissioned Leadership: Battalion Commander - usually a Lieutenant Colonel
Non-Commissioned Leadership: Sergeant Major or Master Gunnery Sergeant

Regiment or Brigade

Strength: 3 Battalions (plus support)
Commissioned Leadership: Regiment Commander or Brigade Commander - usually a Colonel
Non-Commissioned Leadership: Sergeant Major or Master Gunnery Sergeant

Division

Strength: 3 Regiments (plus support)
Commissioned Leadership: Division Commander - usually a Brigadier General (one star) or Major General (two star)
Non-Commissioned Leadership: Sergeant Major or Master Gunnery Sergeant

Marine Corps or Corps

Strength: 3 Divisions (plus support)
Commissioned Leadership: Corp Commander - usually a Major General (two star) or Lieutenant General (three star)
Non-Commissioned Leadership: Sergeant Major or Master Gunnery Sergeant

Aviation Organizational Structure

Squadron

Strength: flying squadrons, the number of aircraft varies from 4 - 24; non-flying squadrons include Marine Aviation Logistics Sqns (supply), Marine Wing Support Sqns (construction), Marine Air Control Sqns (air defense), Marine Air Support Sqns (Airfield control), Marine Tactical Air Command Sqns, Marine Wing Communications Sqns, Marine Wing Headquarters Sqns (Admin)

Group or Marine Aircraft Group (MAG)

Strength: 3+ Squadrons - similar in size to an Air Force Wing
Leadership: usually a Colonel

Wing or Marine Air Wing (MAW)

Strength: 3+ Groups - largest aviation unit, each unique
Leadership: usually a Brigadier General

Task Force Organizational Structure

A Task Force is an ad-hoc unit created and deployed for a specific purpose. For this reason, Task Forces don't always follow the regular structure listed above.

Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU)

Strength: 2200 marines - smallest task force unit made up of a reinforced infantry battalion, a composite aircraft squadron and a support group
Leadership: usually a Colonel

Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB)
Strength: built around a reinforced infantry regiment, an aircraft group and a Service Support Group
Leadership: usually a Brigadier General
Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF)

Strength: multiple MEBs - principal war fighting element in the active force structure of the Marine Corps
Leadership: usually a Lieutenant General


Ooh-Rah!

Search for other writeups about Marines

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.