The Université Laval, in the centre of Québec City, Québec, Canada, is among Canada's best reseach-based universities.

The university's origins go back as far as 1663 when, with the authorization of King Louis XIV of France, Monseigneur François de Laval, then New France's first bishop, founded the Séminaire de Québec. In 1852, Queen Victoria granted the Séminaire de Québec with a Royal Charter to create the Université Laval, thereby making the first North American institution to provide post-secondary education in French. In 1878, the university opened a second campus in Montréal, which became the Université de Montréal in 1920.

The Université Laval has 36000 students (58% women) in more than 350 programs. 20% of the students are at the graduate level, and there are 1000 out-of-province, and 2500 international students, with 1500 teachers, and 2000 staff.

The university campus has 30 pavilions, and four residences over 1.2km² of land, with a full 10km of underground walkways. The university also owns La Forêt Montmorency, a property which features sports activities in a natural environment.

Contact information:
Université Laval
Québec
Canada
G1K 7P4
www.ulaval.ca
418.656.3333

See also: Québec's Universities.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.