The University Interscholastic League, UIL, was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1909 the UIL has grown into the largest interschool organization of its kind in the world. The voluntary membership, non-profit organization exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and musiccontests.

The purpose of the UIL is to organize and properly supervise contests for public schools that assist in preparing public school students for citizenship. It aims to provide healthy, character building, educational activities carried out under rules providing for good sportsmanship and fair play for all participants.

History

The University Interscholastic League (UIL) was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletics teachers. In 1909, with the approval of the Board of Regents, Dr. S. E. Mezes, president of the University, organized and formed the Extension Bureau bat the University. The next year, Dr. Mezes created the Debating League of Texas High Schools as part of the Extension Bureau. He also appointed Professor Charles Ramsdell to investigate the need for a high school athletic organization. After talking with public school officials, Professor Ramsdell suggested organizing an Interscholastic Athletic Association. The proposal was approved and the UIL's two parent organizations, the Debating League of Texas and the Interscholastic Athletic Association became operational. In 1913, the Debating League and the Athletic Association merged to form the University Interscholastic League, which was centered in the Bureau of Public School Services, then a part of The University of Texas Extension Division. Today, the League operates as part of the University of Texas, under the auspices of the Vice President for Human Resources and Community Relations. Since 1910, the records and achievements of state high school participants have justified the decision of the University to support this program of public school service. The UIL has grown into the largest interschool organization of its kind in the world, and is the envy of similar groups nationwide. The voluntary membership, non-profit organization exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. So successful is the program that one of every two high school seniors has participated in a UIL event prior to graduation. The initials "UIL" have come to represent quality educational competition, administered by school people on an amateur and equitable basis.


A lot of the informaion for this node was taken from UIL website at www.http://www.utexas.edu/admin/uil/ath/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.