The University at Albany, located in Albany, New York, is the second largest school in the SUNY system behind the State University of New York at Stony Brook. It is a public university located about five miles outside of the center of Albany.

It's operating budget is around $210,000,000. The university employs approximately 1,000 faculty members, with about 60% of them working full time.

About 58% of applicants are accepted; Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees are offered. Specific types of degrees offered are: B.S., B.A., M.S., M.A. M.L.S., M.S.W., M.B.A. M.P.A., M.F.A., M.A.M.L.S., M.R.P., M.P.H., Ph.D. Ed.D., D.A., Psy.D. A list of available undergraduate majors can be found on Albany's website at: http://www.albany.edu/undergraduate_bulletin/majors.html

Student Body:

As of the Fall 2001 semester, there is an undergraduate enrollment of 11,156 students, 2,216 of them being first year students. There are 4,971 graduate students enrolled. Of first year students, 95% are in-state, and the male to female ratio is 1:1. These numbers on average remain constant over the years. Approximately 98% of first year students live on campus, making residential life at the school particularly central to education. The average SAT score at the university is 1166; Verbal is 579; Math is 587.

As reported on applications, the breakdown in terms of ethnicity is as follows:

  • 0% American Indian/Alaskan Native
  • 7% Asian/Pacific Islander
  • 8% Black/Non-Hispanic
  • 7% Hispanic
  • 68% White/Non-Hispanic
  • 1% Non-Resident Alien
  • 9% Race/Ethnicity unreported

Contact information:

1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York
12222
(518) 442-3300
www.albany.edu

Admissions
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York
12222
ugadmit@safenet.albany.edu
Contact: Harry Wood


I attend the university. I am an English major, and can attest to the high quality of the education received here. For a school of this size, the faculty is surprisingly accessible and once beyond the huge freshmen classes (a Psychology 101 class that I took last year had 500 people in it), upper level courses are small and enjoyable.

I live in the dorms, and the best part of it is the ethernet hookup. Though lately, people using KaZaA have been using up about 98% of bandwidth and tearing apart the OC3, causing it to crash. However, for the most part, it is not a problem. There are dorms located both on the large main uptown campus as well as downtown.

The University at Albany offers an unusually high quality public education which is both inexpensive and is usually lowered further in cost by the financial aid which is offered to about 70% of the student body. For students who don't mind the atmosphere of a large college and who are motivated enough to stand out in large classes will find a quality experience at this university.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.