The University of Winnipeg (U of W, for short) is an university located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It has an enrollment of approximately 6,000 undergraduate students, making it the second-largest university in the province. The campus is located on Portage Avenue in downtown Winnipeg, within walking distance of the historic intersection of Portage and Main.

The U of W consistently scores highly in Maclean's Magazine annual rankings of Canadian universities, usually placing among the top five primarily-undergraduate schools.

The U of W fields teams in only two sports: volleyball and basketball (both men's and women's). Fortunately, these teams are perennially strong. The women's basketball team won 88 consecutive games between 1992-94, tying the record held by John Wooden's UCLA basketball teams. The teams are nicknames the Wesmen (which is short for "Wesleymen") after Wesley College (see below). The teams play their home games in the Duckworth Centre.


History:
The U of W officially came into being July 1, 1967 (Canada's centennial, the 100th anniversary of Confederation), and was formed from the University of Manitoba's United and Wesley Colleges.

Notable U of W alumni include former cabinet minister Lloyd Axworthy, author Margaret Laurence, entertainer Fred Penner and former Winnipeg mayors Bill Norrie and Susan Thompson.


Sources:
The University of Winnipeg - http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/
CIAU - http://www.universitysport.ca/home.asp

See: Manitoba's Universities

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.