No reputable noder would so such a thing, right?

However, there are less-than-reputable people who can and do access E2 - some of them for the purpose of stealing the essays and passing them off as their own work for school assignments.

Not the nicest thought, yes?

I was discussing the concept of E2 with my World Literature instructor before our last class period, and she brought this idea to my attention.

LM: Are you familiar with the website www.everything2.com at all? It is something of a user-written encyclopedia... Each user submits write-ups on basically any topic for others to read. That is the place most of my homework ends up after I am done with it.
Ms. G.: I haven't seen that one, but I know of 96 other sites that you can do the same thing.
LM: 96 other sites like E2? *looks confused*
Ms. G.: Well, 96 other sites where you can freely read other peoples work - essays, poetry, etc. Some of those 96 are advertised as cheat-sites where you can download essays to turn in as your own work, while others are just places where people's work is displayed and the less-scrupulous can copy & paste the text, format it, print it, and turn it in as their own work.
LM: *thinks for a moment* I hadn't thought of people using E2 that way...
Ms. G.: Yes, it is not a fun thing to think about - that someone could be stealing your work and selling it to someone else to plagiarize. Thank you for giving me that site, though. I will be looking at it, and adding it to my list of sites to monitor for plagiarism. Most English teachers know about the 96 sites I mentioned - I'll let them know about this one.

Just something to think about in the future. While the idea is not a pleasant one for me to consider, being a future English-teacher myself, I will likely still node my homework, poetry, and stories.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.