Here is an 18th century recipe I found recently:
USQUEBAUGH, a strong compound liquor, chiefly taken by way of dram.

There are several different methods of making this liquor ; but the following is esteemed one of the best : To two gallons of brandy, or other spirits, put a pound of Spanish-liquorice, half a pound of raisins of the sun, four ounces of currants, and three of sliced dates ; the tops of baum, mint, savory, thyme, and the tops of the flowers of rosemary, of each two ounces ; cinnamon and mace, well bruised, nutmegs, aniseeds, and coriander seeds, bruised likewise, of each four ounces ; of citron, or lemon, and orange-peel, scraped, of each an ounce ; let all these infuse forty-eight hours in a warm place, often shaking them together : after which the clear liquor is to be decanted off, and to it is to be put an equal quantity of neat white port, and a gallon of canary ; after which it is to be sweetened with a sufficient quantity of double-refined sugar.

Encyclopædia Britannica 1771

Usquebaugh is also the name of a celtic music band from Fort Wayne, Indiana

Us"que*baugh (?), n. [Ir. or Gael. uisge beatha, literally, water of life; uisge water + beatha life; akin to Gr. bi`os life. See Quick, a., and cf. Whisky.]

1.

A compound distilled spirit made in Ireland and Scotland; whisky.

The Scottish returns being vested in grouse, white hares, pickled salmon, and usquebaugh. Sir W. Scott.

2.

A liquor compounded of brandy, or other strong spirit, raisins, cinnamon and other spices.

Brande & C.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.