Born June 22, 1965

Director Filmography:
Rampage: Capital Punishment (2014)
In The Name of the King 3: The Last Mission (2014) Suddenly (2013)
Assualt on Wall Street (2013)
Zombie Massacre (2013)
In The Name of the King 2: Two Worlds (2011)
Blubberella (2011)
Auschwitz (2011)
BloodRayne: The Third Reich <2010)
Max Schmeling (2010)
Final Storm (2010)
Darfur (2009)
Rampage (2009)
Stoic (2009)
Far Cry (2008)
Alone in the Dark II (2008)
Tunnel Rats (2008)
Seed (2007)
Postal (2007)
BloodRayne 2: Deliverance (2007)
They Wait (2007)
In The Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2006)
BloodRayne (2005)
Alone in the Dark (2005)
House of the Dead (2003)
aka House of the dead: Le jeu ne fait que commencer (Canada:French title)
Heart of America (2003)
Blackwoods (2002)
Sanctimony (2000)
Erste Semester, Das (1997)
Barschel - Mord in Genf? (1993)
Amoklauf (1992)
German Fried Movie (1991)

Uwe Boll is a straight-to-video hack who, through some incomprehensible series of events, managed to find himself quite a career adapting video games for theatrical release. His atrocious version of “House of the Dead” was widely, and justifiably, derided as one of the worst movies ever made. His most recent film, "Alone in the Dark," is now receiving similar assessments. Despite the near-universal scorn heaped upon his movies, it does not appear that Boll will be out of work any time soon. His next project, "Bloodrayne" is in post-production, and he's already started pre-production on "Hunter: The Reckoning". * Another project, "Far Cry," has been announced.

Key characteristics of Boll's work include:

Perhaps the defining characteristic, however, is the feeling that you are watching an unconscious pastiche. It seems like Boll has watched a lot of action and horror films, and knows what elements and techniques audiences have come to expect in those genres. He just doesn't know why one would use them, so he throws them randomly into the mix.

Herr Doktor Boll must be given credit for at least one thing: He is one of the most successful independent filmmakers around. Take, for instance, his most recent release, "Alone in the Dark." For this picture, he was able to raise $30 million from overseas investors (mostly in his home country of Germany), and hence was able to afford several "names" for his cast (Christian Slater, Tara Reid & Stephen Dorff). His movies may suck, but they make back their money, and we'll not soon see the end of him.

* A title that conotes for me a guy in an orange vest, standing in the woods, holding a rifle and trying to guesstimate something. But maybe that's just me.


UPDATES:

  • "You forgot that the movies' stories tend to only coincidentially resemble the games'. Which would be fine if the ideas he used instead weren't so stupid (Teenagers on an island chased by zombies -- that's original)." - Ichiro2k3
  • "Supposedly Boll also has the rights to 'Dungeon Siege'. In addition, check out this article on Something Awful, supposedly by one of the original AitD screenwriters (whose script was rejected by Boll): http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649 Dunno if it's true, but if it is... I mean, Mein Gott. Incidentally, Alone In The Dark is currently listed by IMDb (by user votes) as the 12th worst movie of all time.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.