The unit 'vvm' is used for bioreactor culture. The first 'v' stands for volume of air (e.g. liter) ; the second 'v' stands for per unit of medium (e.g. liter); 'm' stands for per unit of time (e.g. minute). For example, 2 vvm (l/l/m) means in 1 minute time there is 2 liter of air passing through 1 liter of medium (from the v/vm website)

V/vm is the brainchild of noise prankster and Stockport resident James Kirby. Initial V/vm releases were minimalist digital noise, but over time V/vm dabbled more in the "reprocessing" of top 10 hits by mainstream icons, retitled in a rather meat-obsessed manner. Many V/vm titles feature references to pigs and butchers.

The first true classic V/vm "reinterpretation" was released in mid-2000: the "Lady In Red (Is Dancing With Meat)" (with Chris De Burger)/"All Night Long (Butcher All Night)" (with Loin-El Glitchie) 7" single, with Chris De Burgh's track becoming the creepiest thing you've ever heard, the vocal pitch-shifted down several octaves, and the backing track replaced with an unsettling drone, and Lionel Ritchie's classic 80s hit becoming a ear-shattering scree of filters and digital noise.

This idea naturally progressed with the release of the "Sick-Love" CD in mid-2000, featuring 22 V/vm versions of such hits like Robbie Williams' "Angels", Spice Girls "2 Become 1" and Yazoo's "Only You".

V/vm have also collaborated with various other leftfield electronica superstars such as Speedranch^Jansky Noise, Kid 606 (on the amazing "Attitude" 7" tribute to NWA), and Panasonic.

True Steppers heard the V/vm version of their "Out Of Your Mind" (retitled "Out Of My Mind and Bacon Rind") recently in an NME article - one of them hated it and was horrified someone would do that to his music, the other loved it and wanted to work with V/vm in the future...

Other V/vm releases of interest: Up-link Data Transmissions 12", Shoplift 12", Chart Runners LP, Masters Of The Absurd 12", Rock Me (H)amadeus 7", The Green Door (Abducted by Shakin' Stevens) CD.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.