For the first seventy-three years of their existence, Velez Sarsfield of Buenos Aires remained one of the lesser lights in the Argentinian league championships. The club was formed in 1910 as a result of the growing popularity of the sport within the "barrios" (urban areas) of Buenos Aires. Their first taste of success came nine years later when they finished a distant second to Racing Club in the championship race of 1919. Occasional flirtations with the upper reaches of the league table never resulted in the club lifting the cup, with second place the final resting place for the club at the end of the 1953, 1971 and 1992 seasons.

After coming within two points of lifting the title the previous year, it was with a great sigh of relief that the 1993 season ended with the club finally heading the league table, three points clear of their nearest rivals, Independiente. After waiting so long for a trophy to arrive, they did not have to wait for their next as in the next season they repeated the feat of the more well-known Argentinian clubs in lifting the Copa Libertadores with a win in the final against São Paulo. However, the run of success was not to end with the win against the Brazilians. As the South American club champions the honor went to Velez Sarsfield to represent the continent in the World Club Championships. Despite Argentinian club sides having the best record in the history of the competition with six previous victories, their opponents AC Milan were widely considered to be the world's best side at the time. The reputation of the Argentinians was to be imprinted upon the footballing world as the Italians were beaten by two goals to nil in Tokyo.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.