The Vancouver, Washington Amtrak Station is a train station served by Amtrak trains, located in Vancouver, Washington. It was built in 1908, and is a wood building, about the same size as a large house. It currently serves the Cascades and Coast Starlight going north and south, and the Portland section of the Empire Builder, going east and west. It is a modest, but comfortable building, and has a nice model of a railroad to look at while waiting for your train.

The biggest problem with the station is it is located in the industrial district of Vancouver, about half a mile from downtown. This does impact the aesthetics of the station: despite looking like a cute little chalet, the station is immediately opposite a recycling facility where you can look at piles of junk metal while waiting for your train. But that isn't too bad, and might be appealing to some. The real problem is that the station is located in a wye, a triangular junction where railroad tracks come together (in this case, the north/south tracks and the east/west tracks). To approach the station, the passenger must cross railroad tracks, that are often enough occupied by long freight trains. There are no sidewalks, just a trek through gravel and warehouses filled with trucks. So even though it is less than a 10 minute walk from downtown Vancouver, it is more difficult than it seems---especially for travelers encumbered with luggage.

Vancouver, Washington has a long history of being on the edge of being a suburb and being a city in its own right, and its strange history with transit is part of that. But in the case of the Amtrak station's placement, it is a legacy engineering problem, rather than a political problem, that is making things difficult. When the station was built, Clark County had a population of 25,000 people, as opposed to the ~500,000 people that live there now. When the train station opened, there was no automobile bridge between Portland and Vancouver, and there wasn't really automobiles either. The city has changed a lot in 100 years, and other than interior remodeling, the train station is the same. Now, to make it a multimodal station that connects with mass transit, including possible light rail, would involve rerouting either freight tracks, or light rail tracks. As with much of the United States' public transit infrastructure, the train station, through no one's fault, is in the wrong place, with few realistic solutions as to how to make it more accessible to transit or pedestrians.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.