First sighted by pioneer South-west aviator Lloyd Jones in about 1947 in Tasmania, the water flowing over the falls seemed mysteriously to disappear at the base of the cascade and the riverbed appeared to be dry for several kilometres down stream giving this beautiful waterfall it's name, Vanishing Falls. With the unlikely but possible aspect of a past miner making the journey there has been no attempt to reach the waterfall until 1973 as it was surrounded by thick bush scrub. However, a number of groups were making plans to reach the falls making the appeal at being the first into a major competition. In November 1973, Jeanaette Collin and Attila Vrana, from the small Manuka Club, reached the coveted unexplored falls finding that the falls actually fall into a little pool at the base covered by shrub and rock.

Starting from the Picton River valley they reached the falls in five days by walking way of Mt Bobs. After exploring the falls area they climbed on to the ridge at the back a of Precipitous Bluff and traversed to New River Lagoon which took another four days of cutting their way through the thick Tasmanian scrub. Although the falls had now been reached appeal to the mysterious place was still peaked and other expeditions were started off to the adventure.

The falls lay snuggled into a rock face along the Salisbury River and can only be reached by hiking, it is a beautiful and wondrous place perfect for the avid adventurer. The temperature can be quite cool at night but reaches around 35 C during the day so the difference in the packing gear can be quite dramatic. Huge eucalypts, up to 60 meters high, grow in profusion and ferny glades are interspersed with scrubby sections.

This area is also known for a large number of tiger snakes as well as Tasmanian Devils and other local fauna that can be awfully dangerous at close range. The wildlife however, presents many opportunities for your photograph happy adventurers and environmentally curios friends. The falls always look their best after a heavy rain but it also does make the trip to the falls, at least a three-hour hike from any suitable camping ground, a bit slower and a bit more dangerous. This area offers plenty of bushwalking, opportunity for experienced paddling, an enjoyable camping experience, and picturesque scenery.

Please remember if you are travelling to Tasmania, even from Australia, all camping equipment will be checked for soil and insects by customs, as they will disturb the environment so please make sure your equipment is clean . Bottled water from your native land should be drank and not dumped into the rivers, or drains, as they to could affect the ecology. A water filter is suggested for any bush walk or camping trip that will take a great deal of time or will force you to stay over night.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.