In American universities, a varsity sport is school sponsored, likely to be funded, and is distinct from a club sport, which is usually none of these things.

'vär-s&-tE

From the old abbreviation of the word University.

Varsity Sport:
US term to describe inter-college/university sport.

UK term to describe a sporting event between the old university rivals of Oxford University and University of Cambridge.
The first recorded such event was in 1829 when the two universities had the first boat race at Henley-on-Thames when Oxford beat Cambridge but lost the next two encounters in 1836 and 1839.
Traditionally only a few sports where played such as rugby, rowing and ice hockey, now there are few sports which aren't played at Varsity level, some of the more unusual sports played are pool and tiddly winks.
As a mark of acheivement to the people who represent their university in a varsity match a 'Blue' may be given to a player who has shown great dedication. The term Blue comes from the traditonal sporting colours of the two universities, light Blue for Cambridge and dark Blue for Oxford. Depending on the validity of the sport in general will depend on how much of a Blue you receive in it. The traditional sports men and women will receive a full blue and those of pool and tiddly winks receive only a quarter Blue with various levels of Blue between.

Varsity Spirit:
Term used to describe the rivalry between the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, whether describing sports, academia or other parts of Student life. A plain example of such rivalry is given in the poem named 'Twas the night before Varsity'

Twas the night before Varsity

'Twas the night before Varsity,
And all through the City,
The players were praying,
The Tabs1 would be Shity.

Most were quite sleepy,
But none touched their beds,
While visions of shutouts,
Danced in their heads.

Some students had scattered
To places more tame,
Imagining hat tricks,
They’d score in the game.

In my own room,
I had been pacing,
And dreading the game,
I soon would be facing.

The pucks and the sticks,
Were stacked near the bin,
In hopes that Varsity,
Would lead to a win.

I stared at my kit,
But my thoughts were fleeting;
My eyes went a blur,
Fearing that we’d take a beating.

"Some pizza might help,"
I though with a shiver,
But each place I called
Refused to deliver.

I'd nearly concluded
That life was too cruel,
With futures depending,
On goals scored in duel.

When all of a sudden
My door opened wide
And Patron Saint "Puck-the-Tabs"
Ambled inside.

His spirit was careless,
His manner was mellow,
But summoning effort,
He started to bellow:

"What kind of player
Would make such a fuss
Over playing the Tabs
When they fear us?

Slapshots! Wristshots!
On Last Year's Results!
On Wingit and Slingit,
And Last-Minute Shots!"

His message delivered,
He vanished from sight,
But we heard him laughing
Outside in the night:

"Your coaches have trained you,
So just do your best...
Happy Varsity to All,
And to All, a good rest."

1Tabs- Derogatory name given by Oxford students to Cambridge students, comes from the old name of Cambridge Cantab.
Poem taken from OUWIHC used by permission
A fountain pen created by the Pilot Pen Company. Unique, because they are the only disposable fountain pen on the market. Though there are other founts at about this price point (<$5 US), they are not meant to be disposable, and write like a rusty nail.

The thing of it is, it is actually a decent pen. The nib, though not the best in the world, does pretty well. The ink is Namiki which is to say quite good--certainly worth putting into a more expensive pen. The plastic is the same on other low-end pens.

The Varsity comes in five colors: black, blue, pink, purple, and turquoise, and includes an window to allow the level of ink to be checked. Though I haven't measured it, it is about the same as two or three cartridges.

If you are thinking about getting a fountain pen, but want to see if it will work for you, this is definitely a way to get your fingers inky before you put down the green.

Sources: http://www.pilotpen.us/detail.asp?PenID=24

Var"si*ty (?), n.

Colloq. contr. of University.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.