Velocity saturation is an unfortunate effect that occurs in semiconductors. In all semiconductors, there is a point at which increasing electric field no longer increases the average carrier velocity. This means that for a given charge carrier concentration, there is a maximum possible current. In silicon, the electron saturation velocity is around 1x107cm/s and the hole saturation velocity is about 0.6x107cm/s. Other semiconductors (e.g. gallium arsenide and gallium nitride) have higher saturation velocities*, leading some researchers to speculate that such semiconductors will replace silicon in the future. Personal opinion: they are wrong.

* Gallium arsenide (GaAs) is reported to have an electron saturation velocity of 2x107cm/s. This is somewhat misleading, because GaAs shows negative differential resistance. The maximum electron velocity is indeed 2x107cm/s, but increasing the electric field beyond that point decreases the electron velocity. The velocity eventually saturates at 1x107cm/s.

A highly-respected professor and chief technology officer at semiconductor foundry TSMC maintains that velocity saturation is due to optical phonon generation, but I have never understood this explanation. From an engineering perspective, it's more important to know that it happens than why it happens.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.