Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, Vernon Dursley is a thickset, no-nonsense true Brit who easily turns purple and yells loudly when he gets mad, which happens a lot around Harry. He works at a firm called Grunnings where he makes drills.

After Harry's parents James and Lily Potter die at the hand of evil Lord Voldemort, his Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia must be his guardians. Together with their son Dudley, the Dursleys are Harry's only living relatives **spoiler for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban here** until he discovers his godfather Sirius Black in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Vernon Dursley disapproves highly of any and all things involving magic, especially Harry. He does his best to make life hard on the poor kid, even telling people that Harry is at St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal Boys while he is actually at Hogwarts. For Christmas, the Dursleys have given Harry such gracious presents as a single Kleenex and a pair of Uncle Vernon's old socks. They mistreat him because of his association with magic and resentment at having to care for him, often neglecting him and keeping him in his room.

Vernon Dursley appears in all four Harry Potter novels: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Look for the fifth book Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to come out sometime in 2002.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.