It was a veteran, not a reporter, who protected the freedom of the press.

It was a veteran, not a campus organizer, who protected our right to demonstrate.

It was a veteran who saluted the flag, died for the flag, and lies in a coffin under the flag.

Freedom is not "free."

-From the wall of a bar in Culver City, CA, as best as I remember.

It was a veteran who gave up his freedom to protect the freedom of others.

Veterans can be found in every walk of life. Some bear visible scars of their service, some are still recuperating. Some never made it home from their tour of duty. Some came home mortally wounded and none the wiser, only to expire in a few short years.

It is a Veteran who is an uncle or a sister or neighbor or co-worker. It is a veteran who is a farmer or mechanic or bridge builder or business owner. It is a veteran who is disabled or homeless or a prisoner or a congressman.

It is a veteran who stands watch over you.

Vet"er*an (?), a. [L. veteranus, from vetus, veteris, old; akin to Gr. year, Skr. vatsara. See Wether.]

Long exercised in anything, especially in military life and the duties of a soldier; long practiced or experienced; as, a veteran officer or soldier; veteran skill.

The insinuating eloquence and delicate flattery of veteran diplomatists and courtiers. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Vet"er*an (?), n. [L. veteranus (sc. miles): cf. F. v'et'eran.]

One who has been long exercised in any service or art, particularly in war; one who has had.

Ensigns that pierced the foe's remotest lines, The hardy veteran with tears resigns. Addison.

⇒ In the United States, during the civil war, soldiers who had served through one term of enlistment and had reenlisted were specifically designated veterans.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.