Vienna, Virginia

An incorporated town outside of Washington, D.C.
Ranked 4th best place to live in the US 2005 by Money magazine

Vienna, VA is a small, mostly residential, suburban town, 15 miles west of Washington, D.C., in Fairfax County. Vienna was founded in 1754, and reported a population of 14,453 in the 2000 Census. Vienna is the western terminus of the Washington D.C. Metro's Orange Line, and has an intersection with Interstate 66. The main local road in Vienna is Maple Avenue, which is lined with many small stores, many restaurants, and several supermarkets. In the early 2000's, Vienna undertook a major restoration project which lead to the creation of improved sidewalks and an improved town green. Vienna is one of the major towns that the W&OD Trail, a 46 mile bike trail, runs through. Nearby communities include Tysons Corner, Virginia, McLean, Virginia, Oakton, Virginia, and the cities of Fairfax, Virginia and Falls Church, Virginia.

History of Vienna

Vienna was settled in 1754, and was first named Ayr Hill, after Ayr County, Scotland. Shortly before 1850, Moses Cummings established a plow factory in Ayr Hill. This factory produced the first iron-beamed plows made in the United States. Shortly thereafter, the town was renamed "Vienna" after Vienna, New York. 1858 brought the W&OD Railroad to Vienna, providing the town with a link to rail lines. Vienna was featured prominently in the American Civil War, as it served as a camp for both Union and Confederate troops. The fifth skirmish of the First Battle of Manassas took place in Vienna, and is notable, as it was the first military action to involve the strategic use of a rail line.

Vienna officially became a town in 1890. In 1903, the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department was formed, and was the first fire station in Northern Virginia. Vienna saw limited development until the 1950's, when many businesses and residents moved into Vienna seeking to find a suburban community with proximity to the Nation's Capital.

A notable event in Vienna in the early 21st century was the capture of the Russian spy Robert Hanssen, who was a resident of Vienna. Hanssen would deliver classified information to the Russians by leaving packages under a bridge in Foxstone Park, a small park in North Vienna.

Statistics

General

Area: 4.4 square miles, 11.5 square kilometers
Population: 14,453
Households: 5,331
Families: 3,982
Population Density: 3,258.3 per square mile, 1,256.8 per square kilometer

Schools:

Public schools are members of the Fairfax County Public Schools system.

Population:

Caucasian: 81.10%
African American: 3.44%
Native American: 0.19%
Asian: 9.47%
Latino: 7.39%
Multiracial: 3.09%
Other Races: 2.79%
99.4 Males : 100 Females
Below Poverty Line: 2.5%

Income Levels

Per Capita: US$37,753
Median per Family: US$93,043
Median per Household: US$85,519
Median, Male: US$62,733
Median, Female: US$39,563

Taken from www.viennava.gov

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.