In Rational ClearCase, a view is a work area that shows a specific set of versions for a given component or project. The view is essentially a filter that chooses versions of objects based on a config spec. In ClearCase, there are two types of views: snapshot views and dynamic views.

In a (relational) database, a view is a virtual table which gets its data from one or more tables and/or views through a SELECT query. The view does not store a copy of the data. Instead, each time data is requested from the view, the SELECT query is executed to fetch data from the underlying tables and/or views.

A view is created with the CREATE VIEW command. The basic syntax is CREATE VIEW name AS SELECT .... There are often restrictions on the SELECT clause. For example, ORDER BY is usually not allowed.

Usually, the view is read-only. Data modification is only possible if the SELECT query is simple, but sometimes it can be made possible by defining INSTEAD OF triggers (Microsoft SQL Server 2000) or rewrite rules (PostgreSQL).

Here is an example with two tables and a view with a SELECT query that joins the two tables.

"users" table
+---------------------------------+
| nickname | firstname | lastname |
+---------------------------------+
| johnny   | John      | Doe      |
| root     | System    | Admin    |
| steve    | Steve     | Smith    |
+---------------------------------+

"score" table
+---------------------------------+
| nickname | numarticles | points |
+---------------------------------+
| johnny   | 53          | 123    |
| root     | 0           | 0      |
| steve    | 12          | 72     |
+---------------------------------+

CREATE VIEW allinfo AS SELECT users.nickname, firstname,
 lastname, numarticles, points FROM users, score
 WHERE users.nickname = score.nickname

SELECT * FROM allinfo
+---------------------------------+----------------------+
| nickname | firstname | lastname | numarticles | points |
+---------------------------------+----------------------+
| johnny   | John      | Doe      | 53          | 123    |
| root     | System    | Admin    | 0           | 0      |
| steve    | Steve     | Smith    | 12          | 72     |
+---------------------------------+----------------------+

I saw a picture of the St. Louis Arch – it was an arc of nothing but light – it looked like it had been taken at night. But the caption said it was taken during the day – it was a picture of the sun reflecting off of the arch.

I realized that all we photograph is just light. We take pictures of light reflecting off of things, which is different from taking a picture of the actual thing itself.

We see light reflections as well. Nothing more than light, reflected.

I then realized (about a week later – it took some cogitating) that my view of the world – my internal map – is almost entirely visual. I judge my space, my situation, the hardness or softness of objects, the smiles of friends, on what I see with my eyes.

So I tried standing in a forest, focusing my eyes on one thing, and listening. I heard birds. I heard a woodpecker about 20 feet away off to my left. Then I realized there were two – it sounded like a child and parent. Behind me was a cardinal. A blue jay flew overhead. Something I couldn’t identify was to the right. Maybe a mocking bird around somewhere too.

I realized I could draw a different type of map in my head based on the sounds I heard. I think, in fact I strongly suspect, that birds hold these maps. They are constantly aware of the company around them, without visual confirmation. They hear the calls of the other birds, mark their locations in their heads, and so have a map.

Dolphins use echolocation. They make high-pitched whistles and clicking noises. Their teeth are exactly offset, so the uppers do not match the lowers. The teeth receive the sounds back, and based on the slight differences between reception time at upper and lower, left and right, they can tell where an object is and how far away it is. In a dolphin’s head, there is a map of the world that is built on vibrations.

VIEW is the title of a software package produced by the company Alpine. VIEW is an acronym for Visually Integrated Engineering Window. The VIEW program is used by truss manufacturers to design roof and floor system trusses. The program is very customizable and highly flexible.

VIEW is, essentially, the only piece of software a truss company needs to operate. With this software, a designer can create the truss systems from a job's blueprint from the ground up, analyze the different stresses on each part of each truss, engineer each truss and prepare them for assembly, price the trusses using board footage costs and plate costs combined with overhead and labor prices. The software also allows the designer to see the building in 3d VRML to observe the details of how the trusses will work together when they are installed.

Alpine offers VIEW training to its customers. There are 3 different courses offered: Beginning VIEW, Advanced VIEW, and Loading in VIEW.

There is also an Archetectural VIEW version which is more useful to archetects than to truss designers.

View (?), n. [OF. veue, F. vue, fr. OF. veoir to see, p. p. veu, F. voir, p. p. vu, fr. L. videre to see. See Vision, and cl. Interview, Purview, Review, Vista.]

1.

The act of seeing or beholding; sight; look; survey; examination by the eye; inspection.

Thenceforth I thought thee worth my nearer view. Milton.

Objects near our view are thought greater than those of a larger size are more remote. Locke.

Surveying nature with too nice a view. Dryden.

2.

Mental survey; intellectual perception or examination; as, a just view of the arguments or facts in a case.

I have with exact view perused thee, Hector. Shak.

3.

Power of seeing, either physically or mentally; reach or range of sight; extent of prospect.

The walls of Pluto's palace are in view. Dryden.

4.

That which is seen or beheld; sight presented to the natural or intellectual eye; scene; prospect; as, the view from a window.

'T is distance lends enchantment to the view. Campbell.

5.

The pictorial representation of a scene; a sketch, ither drawn or painted; as, a fine view of Lake George.

6.

Mode of looking at anything; manner of apprehension; conception; opinion; judgment; as, to state one's views of the policy which ought to be pursued.

To give a right view of this mistaken part of liberty. Locke.

7.

That which is looked towards, or kept in sight, as object, aim, intention, purpose, design; as, he did it with a view of escaping.

No man sets himself about anything but upon some view or other which serves him for a reason. Locke.

8.

Appearance; show; aspect.

[Obs.]

[Graces] which, by the splendor of her view Dazzled, before we never knew. Waller.

Field of view. See under Field. -- Point of view. See under Point. -- To have in view, to have in mind as an incident, object, or aim; as, to have one's resignation in view. -- View halloo, the shout uttered by a hunter upon seeing the fox break cover. -- View of frankpledge Law, a court of record, held in a hundred, lordship, or manor, before the steward of the leet. Blackstone. -- View of premises Law, the inspection by the jury of the place where a litigated transaction is said to have occurred.

 

© Webster 1913.


View (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Viewed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Viewing.]

1.

To see; to behold; especially, to look at with attention, or for the purpose of examining; to examine with the eye; to inspect; to explore.

O, let me view his visage, being dead. Shak.

Nearer to view his prey, and, unespied, To mark what of their state he more might learn. Milton.

2.

To survey or examine mentally; to consider; as, to view the subject in all its aspects.

The happiest youth, viewing his progress through. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.