Voodoo Doughnut is a chain of donut shops, based in Portland, Oregon. Their original location was in the Old Town district of Portland, although they now have another location in Portland, as well as one in Eugene, Oregon and one in Denver, Colorado.

Voodoo Doughnut was founded by Kenneth Pogson and Tres Shannon, Portland scenesters and former owners of anarchist spot The X-Ray Cafe. Voodoo Doughnut sells donut of both the mundane variety, as well as some quirky and unexpected varieties, such as a maple bar, with bacon! The original location is quite busy, and has a line going outside the door. Voodoo Doughnuts, and their characteristic pink boxes, have been a common sight in Portland for the past decade.

I have had Voodoo Doughnuts before, although I have never been into the store. The donuts are okay, better than grocery store bakery donuts, but probably no better than any other donut shop. The reason why there is a line outside of Voodoo Doughnut is that most of the customers are presumably people trying to have a "Portland experience", either because they are from Canby or Hillsboro, or they are visiting from Ohio and heard that Voodoo Doughnut is "just like something from Portlandia". Voodoo Doughnut is what passes for Portland for people who don't know anything about Portland. There is no possible way to be less cool than Voodoo Doughnut and its hype without actually being from California.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.