Believe it or not, the United States does not have a National Tree. I thought we had a national everything, but apparently not. There were efforts in Congress to make the oak the National Tree back in the early 1990s, but they died in committee. We do have a National Flower – the rose, chosen in 1986 – and every state has their own state tree, but still we are lacking a National Tree.

Since there is obviously nothing else of importance going on in US politics right now, the people at the National Arbor Day Foundation have decided now is the right time to make this crucial national decision. The Foundation is the group responsible for making Arbor Day rank right up there with Secretary’s Day on the list of important national holidays. They’re holding a popular vote to decide which tree the nation’s citizen’s want for the top pick. There’s nothing to make Congress acknowledge the results of the vote, but what the hell, vote anyway. I’m voting for the oak.

To vote, surf over to arborday.org. There are twenty one trees on the ballot, but you can write in your own picks. Make sure those chads are fully punched people!

Baldcypress
Birch
Buckeye
Cottonwood (Poplar)
Dogwood
Douglasfir
Elm
Hemlock
Kukui
Magnolia
Maple
Oak
Palm
Paloverde
Pecan (Hickory)
Pine
Redbud
Redwood
Spruce
Tuliptree

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.