After Vince McMahon bought out all the competition, the World Wrestling Federation was left with way too many people on its roster.

In an effort to help promote some of the younger stars, a "draft" was fabricated. Mr. McMahon gets exclusive control of WWF SmackDown!, while Ric Flair gets control of WWF Raw. The whole thing is a work, obviously.

Top draft picks for each of the two teams (the first ten were featured on Raw, the latter picks were part of a "lottery" held on wwf.com):

Ric Flair/Raw:

  1. The Undertaker
  2. The nWo (Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, and X-Pac)
  3. Kane
  4. Rob Van Dam
  5. Booker T
  6. Big Show
  7. Bubba Ray Dudley
  8. Brock Lesnar
  9. William Regal
  10. Lita
  11. Bradshaw
  12. Steven Richards
  13. Matt Hardy
  14. Raven
  15. Jeff Hardy
  16. Mr. Perfect
  17. Spike Dudley
  18. D'Lo Brown
  19. Shawn Stasiak
  20. Terri
  21. Jacqueline
  22. Goldust
  23. Trish Stratus
  24. Justin Credible
  25. Big Boss Man
  26. Tommy Dreamer
  27. Crash Holly
  28. Mighty Molly
  29. (no pick, already reached 30)
  30. (as above)

Vince McMahon/SmackDown!:

  1. The Rock
  2. Kurt Angle
  3. Chris Benoit
  4. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
  5. Billy & Chuck
  6. Edge
  7. Rikishi
  8. D-Von Dudley
  9. Mark Henry
  10. Maven
  11. Billy Kidman
  12. Tajiri
  13. Chris Jericho
  14. Ivory
  15. Albert
  16. The Hurricane
  17. Al Snow
  18. Lance Storm
  19. Diamond Dallas Page
  20. Torrie Wilson
  21. Scotty 2 Hotty
  22. Stacy Keibler
  23. Christian
  24. Test
  25. Faarooq
  26. Tazz
  27. Hardcore Holly
  28. The Big Valboski (Val Venis)
  29. Perry Saturn
  30. (no pick)

Looking over the worked draft list reveals just a few of the many inconsistencies in the bizarro-world of professional wrestling...

While some units (the nWo) were drafted as a group, and some tag teams were kept intact (Billy & Chuck were drafted as a unit), other, more popular and respected teams were broken up (the Dudley Boyz and A.P.A. being the best possible example). Oh, and some champions, but not all, will flit about from one show to the other freely. And not everyone can get both TNN and UPN, so some fans will be unable to watch their favorite performers. And in general the whole thing is a clusterfuck.


Update: Having had a few days to reflect upon how the brand division went, I'm no longer entirely convinced it's all bad. SmackDown! (which airs on the marginally more-available UPN) has many of the more family-friendly characters (and yes, relatively speaking, The Rock is family-friendly, at least as compared to some of the antics of BikerTaker and the nWo). Raw has a good portion of the veterans, and most of the "harder" characters. They just might actually be able to make this whole "two brands, different but equal" thing work...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.