Wagga Wagga is a city in rural New South Wales, Australia. The area was first settled by the Wiradjuri tribe thousands of years ago. It was proclaimed a township in 1849, and now has a population of about 58000. People visiting Wagga Wagga might enjoy seeing the mighty Murrumbidgee River, the Botanical Gardens, the Civic Centre, and the National Art Glass Gallery.

Agriculture is the major industry around Wagga Wagga. The region produces livestock, grains, oilseed crops, wine, rice and fruit. Charles Sturt University is in Wagga Wagga.

The name comes from the Wiradjuri Aboriginal word wagga, which means crow. Therefore, the name Wagga Wagga means "place of many crows".
"Wagga Wagga" is also a slang phrase used to draw attention to any Freudian slip or accidental double entendre. Used in a self-depreciating manner; the Wagga-er is aware that he's being immature in pointing out whatever he's wagga-ing about, and that said wagga-impetus is remarkably tenuous, but waggas anyway.

Usage is definitely lowbrow, but not outright offensive. It's sort of verbal eyebrow raise. Sort of a cross between Fozzy Bear and Finbarr Saunders.

Most people who say this make me want to kill.


'Ah, John. We've got a new writer joining us today, I'd like you to give her the once over.'
'Wagga wagga'
BANG!
'You... shot me....' *bleeds to death*
Much rejoicing

~FIN~



Out of curiousity, anyone know why this node seems to be softlinked to half the database? Asides from it being fun to say, natch.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.