Harry Roat Jr: "I cannot negotiate in an atmosphere of mistrust."

Classic American thriller, released in 1967. It was directed by Terence Young and written by Robert Howard-Carrington and Jane Howard Carrington, based upon the play by Frederick Knott. Mel Ferrer was the producer, Henry Mancini composed the music, and Charles Lang was the cinematographer. The film starred Audrey Hepburn as Susy Hendrix, Alan Arkin as Harry Roat, Richard Crenna as Mike Talman, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Sam Hendrix, Jack Weston as Carlino, Samantha Jones as Lisa, and Julie Herrod as Gloria.

Basic plot: Susy is blind. Her husband has obtained a doll which, unbeknownst to him, was being used to smuggle drugs. He has left it somewhere in their apartment and left town for a few days. Mike and Carlino are hoods who want to get the doll away from Susy. Harry Roat is a killer, and he's set his sights on getting the doll and killing Susy. Is there any way for Susy to make it out of this situation alive?

It's been a very, very long time since I saw this movie, but the main thing I remember is how incredibly scary it is. The suspense is excruciating, especially toward the end of the film. It's tight, scary, smart -- all the things you look for in a good thriller. You've watched a bunch of crappy movies this year, haven't you? Go out and rent this one -- you should treat yourself to a seriously great movie for once.

Hepburn was nominated for both an Oscar and a Golden Globe, while Zimbalist was nominated for a supporting actor Golden Globe. The big crime was that Arkin was not nominated for an Oscar, 'cause he's absolutely outstanding.

Neat trivia: Hepburn learned to read Braille for this role and had to be fitted with special contact lenses because it was decided that her eyes were too expressive to belong to a blind woman; and when the film was released, many theaters began dimming their house lights during the film's climax until all the lights were out (if you've seen the movie, you know why; if you haven't -- listen, I already told you to go rent it. Go, dammit!).

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.