Walking draglines are used in the opencast mining industry to remove overburden and strip excavate coal and other resources. These machines are bigger than your local supermarket and can dig a swimming pool in your yard in one scoop although you may have trouble building a garage to house such a monster -- but if you are interested you can purchase one for under $50 milllion U.S. Dollars. You will however need to hire a team of welders and electricians for at least a year to assemble this puppy. Once assembled your walking dragline really will walk, its two feet allow it to move backwards like a robot, its method of propulsion is via its 'feet' that waddle like a penquin to avoid sinking into the soft ground.. Most walking draglines sold in recent years are rebuilt units previously used in other mines, so if your looking for a bargain be sure and look into a rebuilt model.

Walking draglines are the most expensive piece of equpiment purchased by mines, the parameters considered should include the boom length, boom angel, and bucket capcity. Other factors to consider are it's bench height, strip length, cut width and length, face and high wall slope and it's toe clearances. The three main suppliers of draglines today are Marion, P & H, and Bucyrus-Erie. The largest walking dragline to have been perserved is "Oddball" but the largest one ever built -- which has since been dismantled is "The Big Muskie."

The following is an example of a typical walking draglines specs:
    The Marion Power Shovel Company's 2570WS
  • Bucket capacities: 85 to 120 m3 (112 to 160 yd3)
  • Boom lengths: 110 to 128 m (260 to 420 ft)
  • Max. allowable load: 254,000 to 362,900 kg (560,000 to 800,000 lbs)
  • Max. working weight: 7,271,000 kg (16,030,000 lbs)
  • (http://www.bucyrus.com/walkingdraglines.htm)

To view photos of a walking dragline:
http://www.coal.ca/prairies.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.