People are so afraid to be themselves. We hide behind masks just so we won't upset the delicate balance of life. Why not just be ourselves?

Who the fuck cares what other people think about you?

I'm not saying you shouldn't value other people's opinions, but I am saying we shouldn't let other people keep us from doing what we want. So many people spend their lives cowering in the corner letting others trample all over them and what they really desire. I used to be like this, actually caring what people thought of me as I walked by. I don't anymore, and I'm so much happier. I wear what I want to wear. I dance while I drive. I dress in front of my window with the blinds open. I do drugs. I have sex when I want to. I jump around and yell when my Packers make a touchdown. I'm not inhibited by the thoughts of others. I try to understand myself, and as cheesy as it sounds, be a better person. I know I have a lot of faults; however, I'm working on those.

Do what you want to do. If you want to smoke pot, go for it. If you want to have a one night stand, fine. If you want to be devotely religious, more power to you. Do whatever makes you happy.

In no way am I condoning violence against others, either physically or mentally. When your actions have negative effects on other people, that's a completely different realm.

Have fun, and let go. Wear stripes and plaids together. Take your lunch to the office in a Care Bear lunchbox.

I disagree with the notion that it's inherently a Bad Thing to "not be ourselves". I'm constantly making an effort not to be myself, because I'm wanting to be something better. "Myself" is, in no particular order, a lazy drone with minimal work ethic, a sex-starved male stereotype, a self-righteous pain in the butt, and an impulsive and easily distractable pleasure-seeker. I don't consider any of these things to be noble virtues, and it's my lifelong ambition to construct something better from those pieces of my "normal" self.

I also disagree that it's inherently right to live by the philosophy of "as long as it harms none, do what thou wilt". Everything we do has repercussions beyond ourselves. A married man downloading pornography will harm his relationship to his wife. A person who practices drug use may suffer from poor performance at work, affecting his company and coworkers. A parent who lives according to principles of greed and selfishness will pass those "values" on to his children, whether he says them out loud or not.

Am I going to go around imposing these beliefs on other people, harassing my coworkers with them or telling goth kiddies on the street that they're travelling the highway to Hell? No, of course not, because I know that's not a productive way to effect change in others. Instead, I try to live the life I think I should, and hope that the best parts of it rub off on those who know me. When invited to discuss my principles, I'll gladly do so. I may even bring it up with others, but I won't press the subject.

But I refuse to leave this world in exactly the same condition I found it. I fully intend to make a positive difference in those I meet, no matter how small. It's the least I'd expect of me.

Cool Police. Hrm. I think I remember them. They would be the Sophomores in my dorm suite that would be screaming and giggling from 8PM on Thursday night until 11PM on Sunday. On many occasions, I would stumble into our bathroom in the early morning hours to find a girl from our building passed out in the shower stall. Was I angry? No. I thought it was fucking hysterical.

In truth, I secretly admired the older guys (I was a freshman at the time) because they were having fun and enjoying their youth. At the time, I was a bit confused and lonely since I was away from home. I envied their relaxed and easygoing demeanor, especially when our RA LaShon would yell at them. They'd invite her in, listen to what she had to say, and then offer her a beer, which drove her nuts (alcohol was of course, banned in the dorms).

Now I'm a senior, I've had my share of letting loose, and I'll be very honest: it changes you. It's not like a bolt of lightning or anything, but I'd have to say that over the past couple of years I've become much more open and interested in trying new things and taking risks. I'm meeting the most interesting people and having the time of my life doing it. So you know what? There is no Cool Police. There are, however, alot of people on this spinning rock we call Earth who know that having fun is more than just having fun. It's living life.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.