(In)famous goal scored by Sir Geoff Hurst in the final game of the Soccer World Cup 1966, held at the Wembley Stadium in London.

After the regular 90 minutes ended 2:2, Alan Ball out-sprinted german defense player Karl-Heinz Schnellinger and cross-passed the ball to Hurst, who smash-kicked it against the underside of the top bar.
The Ball bounced and hit the ground.

Rules say that the ball has to be behind the line to score a goal.
After conferencing with russian linesman Tofik Bachramow, swiss referee Gottfried Dienst decided it was a regular goal, causing England to win the cup.

To this day, soccer experts, scientists and interested people in both nations try to find out if the ball really was behind the line.
Video tapes of the match were digitally analized, computer simulations were programmed, mathematicans tried to calculate the flying angle of the ball, no one was able to find out if it was on the line or behind it, leaving this mystery unsolved.

In 2001, a german soccer offical said (on the issue of video evidence and goal line cameras to assist the referee): "Much of the spirit of soccer would be lost if the fans could not discuss if a goal counted or not back at work on mondays".
In this spirit, I think the Wembley myth will stay unsolved till the end of time.

Names gathered from all over the web


TDS says re Wembley goal : Funnily enough, ITV ran a computer simulation based on shadows and pespective a couple of years ago, and decided it landed more or less with the centre of the ball over the FAR END of the line - pretty much a perfect 50/50 split in and out

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.