The call letters of the Orlando, FL NBC affiliate. WESH-TV is Channel 2 on your dial (if your TV has a dial. And if you don't have cable).

WESH first went on the air on June 10, 1956. The station was based at a studio in Holly Hill near Daytona Beach. The first transmission tower was only 300 feet tall, and the station could be seen only in nearby Volusia County. A new tower that reached a height of 1,000 feet was built later in Orange City.

On Nov. 5, 1957, WESH became an affiliate of NBC. At the time, the Central Florida area was the 75th largest television market in the country. Channel 2 produced a wide variety of programs locally, including the "Florida Farm and Fish Report," "Topic," "Project 2" and "People, Places and Things." In the 1960s WESH built an auxiliary studio in nearby Winter Park. The news department began production of one of the first hourlong newscasts in the country.

In the 1980s WESH completed construction on a 1,740-foot transmission tower. The tower allowed viewers in St. Augustine, Gainesville, Crystal River and Melbourne to see the WESH signal. The increase in viewers topped 300,000. In 1989, the Holly Hill studio where WESH first began broadcasting was closed. The facility was moved to Daytona Beach were it remains to this day.

WESH now considers itself one of central Florida's leading news organizations. Local news broadcasts at 5am-7am, noon-1pm, 4:30-6:30pm, and 11-11:35pm everyday. When it's not airing news or NBC programming, WESH broadcasts the usual gamut of talk shows, syndicated game shows, gossip magazine shows, and infomercials.


WESH history comes from http://newschannel2000.com/orl/station/stories/technology-20000124-141940.html

Wesh (?), obs. imp. of Wash.

Washed.

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.