West Covina, California


  • Population: 125,000 (2000)
  • Slogan: Diamond of the San Gabriel Valley
  • Suburb of: Los Angeles
  • Points of Interest:
    • Westfield Shoppingtown: West Covina (AKA: The Plaza at West Covina)
    • Westfield Shoppingtown: Eastland
    • Lakes Entertainment Center
  • School District (K-12): Covina-Valley Unified School District (Northern Region); West Covina Unified School District
  • Community College District: Mt. San Antionio College
  • Interest Rating (0-10): 0.98


West Covina is located in the eastern San Gabriel Valley, about 30 minutes from downtown Los Angeles. Incorporated in 1923 in order to block the city of Covina from constructing a sewer farm in the northern part of the current city limits. It is several times larger than its namesake city (It has 2 zip codes, 91790 and 91791), and its approximately 123,000 strong population is dominated by Caucasians and Latinos.

In recent years, the city strongly encouraged redevelopment of the city. The two most notiable examples are the "Lakes Entertainment Center," a former office area which now contains an Edwards Theater, Barnes and Noble, Rubio's Baja Grill, and Best Buy. The "Hong Kong Supermarket Center," which is a sign of the growing Asians population is the other. It is a multi-million dollar complex surrounding a new Hong Kong Supermarket on the grounds of the old Ralph's that moved out almost ½ a decade ago.

Also, Interstate 10 passes through this city.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.