A Boston neighborhood that was dismantled during urban renewal. The site is now occupied by Massachusetts General Hospital and Charles River Park. The West End branch of the Boston Public Library and the old West End Church still stand.

The historical, ancient city of London until after medieval times was the area within the city walls: basically the area that the Romans colonised and called Londinium, although there was a small Royal/Church presence at Westminster about 3-4 miles westwards along the river from there. As a side note, the area of London that originally fell within the city walls is now the financial district and is still called "The City".

Once London finally started growing too large to be contained within the ancient walls, a natural development was to follow the river towards the great abbey at Westminster and the royal courts there. Being west of the City this region gradually became known as the West End, the East End for a long time being a run-down residential area of slums, sweatshops and the dockyards, although it is considerably improved these days.

Today's modern West End isn't a precisely-defined region within London. It certainly encompasses the theatre district of Soho and nearby Chinatown, but it also includes shopping areas such as Oxford Street, Regent Street and Carnaby Street. Many people would also include the Royal Parks and Buckingham Palace as part of the West End, although others wouldn't. Like I said, it's a fairly loose definition, generally meaning "that part of central London which isn't the City".

The South Western most point of Rottnest Island, geographically the furthest point from the Thompson Bay settlement, which makes it a healthy 11km bicycle ride for those keen to see it.

Though technically the West End is a large section of the far side of the Island, you cannot truly say you've made the journey until you reach Cape Vlamingh (named for the Dutch explorer who explored much of the Island). The Cape is a cliff-face promontory, looking out onto a stretch of reef that adjoins the Island and stretches out for hundreds of meters.

The view from West End is truly spectacular, though you will have to decide for yourself if it is worth the cycle to get there.

Whales and dolphins are often spotted frolicking off the coast, and there are a large variety of native birds that make this coast their home -- making it a favourite stop for school camps. As the half-way point in any circumnavigation of the island, it also marks the start of the 'race home' during any school camp, where the camping students race each other back to Thompson Bay for bragging rights.

Being well outside the settlements there is no fresh water available so be sure to bring it with you -- though these days the enterprising General Store sends a man on a trike to sell refreshment of dubious sugar content to those who have made the journey.

For those of a less energetic disposition, the Rottnest Bus makes a stop at the Cape, though this is definitely considered the soft option, and well win you no respect from the locals.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.