The seat of government of, and largest town in, Carroll County, Maryland.

Things to do in Westminster:

  • Drive a truck with absurdly large tires, or an import car with an absurdly large spoiler, in slow circles around one of Westminster's fine parking lots. I've never done this myself; but it must be terribly exciting, judging by it's popularity.
  • Eat at Johhanson's, or The Fat Cat. Avoid The Westminster Inn; it's overrated.
  • Be sure to visit the Carroll County Farm Museum. It's a quiet, unnassuming restored 17th century farm; but more interesting than you might expect. It's also the site of any number of annual Carroll County festivals. Catch the Tractor Show or the Fiddler's Convention if you happen to be in town for them.
  • Thank your lucky stars your not in Sykesville, Maryland.

While Johansson's is renowned for its English-style phone booth, Baugher's is also popular in the area and features homestyle cooking and scrapple. Other dining options include a Denny's Diner, Horn and Horn Cafeteria, Maggie's, and a number of chains and smaller restaurants.

Westminster's "downtown" area is unofficially split into old and new sections. Cranberry Mall, Wal-Mart, several strip malls, and a few shopping centers are all found along Route 140, while the local library, thrift shops, and family-owned stores are located along Main Street (Route 32).

The town is home to Western Maryland College, which provides the summer training camp for the Baltimore Ravens, Carroll Community College, and Westminster High School.

Official website: http://www.carr.lib.md.us/westcity/westcity.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.