This is the 8th track of Zappa & Mothers 3rd album, We're Only In It for the Money released February 1968. The entire album parodies psychedelia and hippy ideologies while simultaneously managing to be more musically and politically substantive. If the album suffers from any shortcoming, it's probably a lack of cohesion as it jumps erratically between topics and styles.

The song ironically is backed by a schmaltzy tune and corn-ball 60s pop lyrics as the first two verses roll past and psychedelically transition to an almost military chant in the second half of the song. The fourth verse represents the parents struggle to understand the blossoming of a young hippy.

The third and fifth verses are clearly a sarcastic representation of hippy ideology (and conspiracy theorism). The opening portion of the song is a bit more difficult to analyze. Because it's delivered in the same sarcastic tone as the rest of the album, it could be interpreted as yet more parody, but at the same time it seems like it could represent Zappa's true feelings about certain ignorantly idealistic individuals. Zappa thought a lot of people's minds were ugly.

The Lyrics:

What's the ugliest
Part of your body?
What's the ugliest
Part of your body?

Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's
YOUR MIND
(your mind)
I think it's your mind

ALL YOUR CHILDREN ARE
POOR UNFORTUNATE VICTIMS OF
SYSTEMS BEYOND THEIR CONTROL
A PLAGUE UPON YOUR IGNORANCE
AND THE GRAY DESPAIR
OF YOUR UGLY LIFE

Where did Annie go
Whe she went to town?
Who are all those creeps
That she brings around?

ALL YOUR CHILDREN ARE
POOR UNFORTUNATE VICTIMS
OF LIES YOU BELIEVE
A PLAGUE UPON YOUR IGNORANCE
THAT KEEPS THE YOUNG FROM
THE TRUTH THEY DESERVE...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.