Information which the current issue of the Weekly World News proclaims to contain. We have these "publications" situated at the front entrance of my store, I assume, due to the fact that those who normally purchase these pieces of garbage might get confused if they were required to search further. When I passed this particular issue the first time, I smirked, pitying those individuals who fall for such meaningless drivel. I continued to pursue my mundane, sevile tasks. Avoiding passing by it again was impossible, though. Everytime I saw it I was drawn closer--I wanted to examine it. It made me think. As embarassed as I was to admit it, a tabloid made me think.

What if this did contain such truth?
What if I was missing out on this marvelous discovery simply because
I belived myself to be someow greather than that?

All I had to do was look. I really came close to it a couple times. Once, a customer scared me away by sneaking up behind me and blurting out, "Girl, them stories is nuthin' but lies...nuthin' but lies I tell ya." Other than this, the only obstacle to my curiosity was my own pride. I was ashamed to pick it up and leaf through it. I really don't know what I was afraid of. I knew deep down that there was no way this blasphemy to the printed word held within it the secrets of the afterlife.

but what if...?

It'll be there for a week. I can stroll up to it any time I please, pick it up, take it over to the counter, and pay for it without feeling ridiculous in front of my co-workers. It's not their demeaning glances and ill thoughts I fear...

it's my own...

The irony of this whole thing is that I don't even care about life after death...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.