This project is dead.

I sold some books, I donated the cash. I'm only leaving the node for historic purposes. If some ego-bloated godling opts to remove the node, that's cool too.


The Idea...

I've had this idea for an E2 fundraiser bubbling away at the back of my mind for a while. I'm a collector see, both in the good sense and the bad. I just acquire and keep shit. Sometimes it's part of a collection which is a fun and healthy hobby (except for the expense), and sometimes it's just stuff that piqued my interest. Often this stuff has value even if it's hard to recoup. So over the years, I have sometimes sold the stuff, particularly when I was in college or out of work for the last five months in 1999. But I have a job and investments to manage now and it's not worth my time to just sell this stuff. But maybe it is worth my time to manage a fundraiser for E2. (Funny how that works, eh?)

Anyway, I have a few thousand books and I'd like to get rid of some of them. Some are essentially new hardback nonfiction and some are thirty year old well read SF novels. Since noders like to read, I've decided to route these books out to eager noders who would get more use from them than I. In exchange Those noders will make a donation/payment (maybe $10?) for a spin of the semi-random book wheel.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/ tells me that shipping a two pound book from my place in New Jersey out to LA with a delivery confirmation would cost $2.39. That works out to $7.61 for E2 for each book bound for US destinations. If I can move 100 books, that's a minimum of $761 to help support things here.

The Implementation...

You go look at the list of books below and see if there's stuff that would be cool to read. Think if it would be fun to have an unknown book heading from another noder's hands to your own. If not, just donate what you can and move on. If so...

Send me a payment of $10 for each book you want to receive. You send this by paypalling to yondere2@yahoo.com. In the message that Paypal will let you send to me with the payment, you can include the numbers of the books from the list below of books that you do not want. I'll accept up to 10% of the list. If you include more than that I'll ignore the surplus. (By popular demand, I will also accept US currency, money orders, or checks(cheques) drawn in US funds. /msg me for a mailing address.)

If you are not in North America but would like to participate, go to http://ircalc.usps.gov/ and calculate the cost of shipping two pounds from the US. If you are willing to add that (often around $8) to the donation, please join in -- I'd love to have you.

When I receive your payment, I'll use a top-secret high-tech method for randomly determining which of the remaining books you win (guaranteed not to be one of those you excluded) and I'll ship them right out to you...within a few days

If you happen to want to donate more to E2 because you think this place rocks and/or you think this is a cool fundraiser and you want to encourage similar future enterprises and/or you feel bad for taking advantage of me this way, just do it. All the dough I collect in excess of the shipping costs will go to E2. I'll be squirting the proceeds back here in chunks. And, for every extra dollar you kick in, you can add one number to your list of exclusions, thus making it less random what you get...if you want to.

As books ship out, after a few days -- to allow for delivery, I'll line through those that have gone and note the winners after the book's name on the list. Unless you're an anonymity freak.

If you node the book(s): I'll hardlink to them from this page, I'll donate all I can -- a single upvote to each (unless they really suck), and hopefully others will too.

The Books...

  1. Life Extension: A Practical Scientific Approach by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw (c)1982 - paperback (well used)
  2. The Life Extension Companion by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw (c) 1984 – hardback (like new)
  3. Primary Colors: A Novel of Politics by Anonymous (c) 1996 - paperback (like new)
  4. Die Broke: A Radical, Four-Part Financial Plan by Stephen M. Pollan (c) 1997 - hardback (very good)
  5. Free Money for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs - 4th edition by Laurie Blum (c) 1996 - paperback (like new)
  6. Free Money from the Federal Government for Small Businesses and Entrepreneurs by Laurie Blum (c) 1993 - paperback (like new)
  7. Nothing Down for the 90s by Robert G. Allen (c) 1990 - hardback (like new)
  8. Excelsior! The Amazing Life of Stan Lee by Stan Lee and George Mair (c) 2002 – paperback (gently used)
  9. Parker's Wine Buyer's Guide by Robert M. Parker (c) 1989 - paperback (gently used)
  10. Parker's Wine Buyer's Guide, Fourth Ed. by Robert M. Parker (c) 1995 - paperback (gently used)
  11. Small Boat Building by H. W. Patterson (c) 1932 – hardback (well used)
  12. Virginia Wines: A Vineyard Year by Felicia Warburg Rogan (c) 1987 – small paperback (like new)
  13. The Vintage Magazine Consumer Guide to Wine by Philip Seldon (c) 1983 - paperback (used)
  14. Set: The Shadow Dancers and The Maze in the Mirror by Jack L. Chalker (c) 1987&89 - paperbacks (used)
  15. Dune (25th anniversary ed) by Frank Herbert (c) 1965-90 - paperback (used)
  16. God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert (c) 1981-87 - paperback (used)
  17. Dune: House Atreides by Brian Herbert and Keven J. Anderson (c) 1999 - paperback (used)
  18. Return to Fanglith by John Dalmas (c) 1987 - paperback (used)
  19. Star Wars Set: Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command by Timothy Zahn (c) 1991, 1992, 1993 – paperback (used)(WaldemarExkul)
  20. Rose of the Prophet Set: The Will of the Wanderer, The Paladin of the Night, and The Prophet of Akhran by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (c) 1989 – paperback (used)
  21. Set: The Legacy of Heorot and Beowulf's Children by Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Steven Barnes (c) 1987, 1995 – paperback (used)
  22. Sniglets by Rich Hall & Friends (c) 1984 - paperback (used)
  23. More Sniglets by Rich Hall & Friends (c) 1985 - paperback (used)
  24. Unexplained Sniglets of the Universe by Rich Hall & Friends (c) 1986 - paperback (used)
  25. The Human Brain in Dissection by Montemurro and Bruni (c) 1981 – spiral-bound paperback (used)
  26. It’s a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection by Bill Watterson (c) 1996 – paperback (gently used)
  27. A Natural System of House Design: An Architect's Way by Charles G. Woods, AIA (c) 1997 – hardback (like new)
  28. Rock & Alpine Gardens by Graham A. Pavey (c) 1996 - hardback (used)
  29. Ars Magica, First ed. (role-playing game) by Jonathan Tweet and Mark Rein-Hagen (c) 1987 – paperback (well used)
  30. Rifts (role-playing game) by Kevin Siembieda (c) 1983-90 – paperback (used)
  31. The Tree and Shrub Expert by Dr. D.G. Hessayon (c) 1983, 1993 – paperback (used)
  32. The Flowering Shrub Expert by Dr. D.G. Hessayon (c) 1994 – paperback (gently used)
  33. 1989 Mosby's Nursing Drug Reference by Linda Skidmore-Roth – hardback (used)
  34. Sex: A Man's Guide by Stefan Bechtel, Laurence Roy Stains (c) 1996 – hardback (like new)
  35. Winter Garden Glory by Adrian Bloom (c) 1993-96 – hardback (like new)
  36. The Spinning Wheel's Complete Book of Antiques, 1979 ed. by Albert Christian Revi (c) 1949-72 – hardback (used)
  37. Build it with Bales: a Step-by-Step Guide to Straw-Bale Construction, version two by Matts Myhrman and S.O. MacDonald (c) 1997 – paperback (like new)
  38. Architecture Without Rules: The Houses of Marcel Breuer and Herbert Beckhard by David Masello (c) 1993 – hardback (like new)
  39. Coins of the World: 1750-1850, third edition by W.D. Craig (c) 1966-76 – hardback (used)
  40. The Leatherworking Handbook by Valerie Michael (c) 1993 – paperback (like new)
  41. 2x4 Furniture: Simple, Inexpensive & Great-Looking Projects You Can Make by Stevie Henderson (c) 1993 – Hardback (like new)
  42. Italian Gardens: A Visitor’s Guide by Alex Ramsay & Helena Attlee (c) 1989 – paperback (gently used)
  43. Hold It! How to Sew Bags, Totes, Duffels, Pouches, & More by Nancy Restuccia (c) 1994 – softback (like new)
  44. Managing People: Lead your Staff to Peak Performance by Bob Adams, et al. (c) 1998 – paperback (used)
  45. Straw Bale Building: How to plan, design & build with straw by Chris Magwood & Peter Mack (c) 2000 – paperback (like new)
  46. Hessen (This is a picture book of the German region – mostly architecture, I can't find a copyright date) – hardback (gently used)
  47. BC Wine Country: Celebrating the Wines, Wineries and Food of British Columbia – Volume three, Collector's Edition, ed. Karen Widmer – paperback (used)
  48. California Wine Country ed. Bob Thompson (c) 1968-72 – paperback (used)
  49. Ornamental Ironwork: An Illustrated Guide to Its Design, History and Use in American Architecture by Susan and Michael Southworth (c) 1992 – paperback (like new) ( Segnbora-t )
  50. Renovating Your Home for Maximum Profit, 2nd edition by Dan Lieberman and Paul Hoffman (c) 1991, 94 – paperback (used)
  51. Midwest Gem Trails by June Culp Zeitner (c) 1964 – paperback (used)
  52. How and Where to – Pan Gold by Wayne Winters (c) 1961 – paperback (quite used)
  53. Gem Trails of Texas, Third Revised Edition by Bessie W. Simpson (c) 1958-70
  54. Western Gem Hunters Atlas by H. Cyril Johnson (c) 1962-65 – paperback (quite used)
  55. New Mexico Gem Trails, Fourth Revised Edition by Bessie W. Simpson (c) 1974 – paperback (used)
  56. Utah Gem Trails by Bessie W. Simpson (c) 1952, 1975 – paperback (used)
  57. The Rummager's Handbook: Finding, Buying, Cleaning, Fixing, Using, and Selling Secondhand Treasures by R.S. McClurg (c) 1995 – paperback (gently used)
  58. Sylvia Porter's A Home of Your Own: A Complete Guide for the First-Time Home-Buyer by Sylvia Porter (c) 1989 – paperback (used)
  59. Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer That Changed Everything by Stephen Levy (c) 1994, 2000 – paperback (gently used)
  60. The Star Wars Trilogy: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi by George Lucas, Donald F. Glut, and James Kahn (c) 1976, 80, 83 – paperback (used)
  61. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (c) 1962-72 – paperback (used)
  62. Classic Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures (three novels in one book) by L. Neil Smith (c) 1983 – paperback (gently used)
  63. Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton (c) 1995 – paperback (used)
  64. Flora in Focus: Botanical Gardens by Nicky den Hartogh (c) 1995 – oversized hardback (gently used)
  65. Propogating House Plants for Amateur and Commercial use by Arno and Irene Nehrling (c) 1962 – hardback (gently used)
  66. Zobomondo: The Outrageous Book of Bizarre Choices by Randy Horn (c) 2001 – paperback (used)
  67. Say it in Polish by Victor Raysman (c) 1955 – paperback (used)
  68. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (c) 1847-1988 – paperback (used)
  69. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (c) 1884-1986 – paperback (used)
  70. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (c) 1961 (1718?) – paperback (used)
  71. Frost: Collected Poems, Prose, & Plays ed. Library of America (c) 1995 – hardback (gently used)
  72. The Winchester Reader (essays) ed. Donald McQuade and Robert Atwan (c) 1991 – paperback (well used)
  73. Great Experiments in Biology ed. Gabriel and Fogel(c) 1955 – hardback (gently used)
  74. Advanced Woodwork and Furniture Making, revised by John L. Feirer (c) 1954, 60 – hardback (used)
  75. Building Speaker Systems, second ed by Gordon McComb, Alvis J. Evans, and Eric J. Evans (c) 1988, 91 – paperback (gently used)
  76. Engines of Creation: Challenges and Choices of the Last Technological Revolution by K. Eric Drexler (c) 1986 – hardback (used)(WaldemarExkul)
  77. Feng Shui Handbook: How to Create a Healthier Living and Working Environment by Master Lam Kam Chuen (c) 1996 – paperback (gently used)
  78. Poland by James A. Michener (c) 1983 – hardback (used)
  79. Mexico by James A. Michener (c) 1992 – hardback (like new)
  80. Texas by James A. Michener (c) 1985 – hardback (used)
  81. Caribbean by James A. Michener (c) 1989 – hardback (gently used)
  82. My Mother, My Self: The Daughter’s Search for Identity by Nancy Friday (c) 1977 – hardback (used)
  83. The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Cacti and Other Succulents by J. Riha and R. Subik (c) 1981 – hardback (used)
  84. Geoffrey Chaucer of England by Marchette Chute (c) 1946 – hardback (used)
  85. Dictionary of Symbols by Carl G. Lungman (c) 1991 – paperback (used)
  86. On the Road, The Dharma Bums, and The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac (c) 1955, 58, 58 – paperback (like new)
  87. You and Your Baby by Frederick W. Rutherford, M.D. (c) 1971 – paperback (used)
  88. How to Choose the Sex of your Baby by Landrum B. Shettles, M.D., Ph.D. and David M. Rorvik (c) 1970-97 – paperback (used)
  89. Vegetarian Baby by Sharon Yntema (c) 1980, 1984 – paperback (gently used)
  90. Sign With Your Baby by Joseph Garcia (c) 1999-2001 – paperback (like new)
  91. 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 by Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D. (c) 1995 – paperback (used)
  92. The Working Mother's Guide to Life by Linda Mason (c) 2002 – paperback (like new)
  93. Carbohydrate Addicted Kids by Drs. Richard F. and Rachael F. Heller (c) 1997 – hardback (like new)(Oeq1st1)
  94. Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Dr. Miriam Stoppard (c) 1993 – hardback (gently used)
  95. The Parent's Handbook by Don Dinkmeyer & Gary D. McKay (c) 1989 – paperback (gently used)
  96. Bride's All New Book of Etiquette by the editors of Bride's Magazine (c) 1948-93 – paperback (gently used)
  97. CD&Book - Grunt: Pigorian Chant from Snouto Domoinko de Silo by Sandra Boynton (c) 1996 – hardback (like new)
  98. German Daggers and Dress Sidearms of World War II by Dr. Kurt-Gerhard Klietmann (c) 1967 – paperback (gently used)
  99. Memoirs Found in a Bathtub by Stanislaw Lem (c) 1973 – paperback (gently used)
  100. Greek Drama: Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Arisophanes ed. by Moses Hadas (c) 1962-82 – paperback (used)

There are currently 93 books available. By default, you may select 9 books to exclude from the randomizer.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.