The capital of Canada's Yukon Territory, and the only settlement in northern Canada even remotely resembling a "city". Whitehorse is located in the South-Central portion of the territory, a number of miles North of the 60th parallel (the Yukon-British Columbia border), probably 150 or 200 miles North of Juneau, AK, and several hundred miles due West of Anchorage, AK. The city straddles the upper portion of the Yukon River, and is also bisected by the Alaska Highway. Having a population of almost 25,000, the town is home to about 3/4 of the Yukon Territory's residents.

Geographically, Whitehorse and the surrounding Yukon River Valley tends to be pretty flat; though there are a number of high, rolling hills in the area that the locals refer to as "mountains". Interestingly enough, despite its relative lack of scenery, buildings in the city are forbidden to be more than four stories high under a local ordinance designed to "protect the view".

Being in the interior, Whitehorse has a reputation for being relatively hot and dry in the summer (forest fires are commonplace in the Yukon); but being in the interior and being so far North means that temperatures can easily push -40 degrees in the winter. The city is dry and dusty year-round, receiving not much snow or rainfall.

Visitors to Whitehorse can partake in such activities as rafting on the Yukon River, visiting the nearby Miles Canyon, or touring various historical relics left over from the Alaska Gold Rush. Those interested in shopping would probably be foolish to come to Whitehorse, although the town does have an outlet of the Canadian Tire department store chain, as well as the yellowish-orange coloured Qwanlin Mall (with its sign proudly advertising "14 stores and services"). As for eateries, I would strongly recommend the Hong Kong restaurant, a Chinese buffet on the East side of the river. Also, don't miss the Midnight Sun, perhaps the best espresso in all of the Great White North.

Socially, Whitehorse seems to have a fairly liberal attitude, which is kinda surprising when compared to the libertarian redneckism of its Alaskan counterparts (Fairbanks, AK, for example). Whitehorsians also seem more friendly in some ways, perhaps being blessed with Canadian hospitality.

Whitehorse also has a bit of history, being tied with the gold rush of the late 19th century. Though at the time far smaller than boom-towns Skagway, AK and Dawson City, YT, Whitehorse was nonetheless important as somewhat of a junction between the two. Supplies were shipped along the Yukon River between Whitehorse and Dawson; and could be packed along the shorter overland distance between Whitehorse and Skagway (a distance which was soon to be bridged by the White Pass Railroad).

Gold Rush-era Whitehorse was also the home of banker-cum-poet Robert Service, whose house still stands in the city today. Lake LeBarge, only a few miles North of Whitehorse, is the setting of his famous poem "The Cremation of Sam McGee".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.