Somewhere, in the sands of time, I came across someone who asked me, "Who are we to question the things about God's plan that we don't particularly agree with?"

Who are we? We are the created, the mortal, the small. But we should not question? Should we be ashamed of questioning? Do our questions make the Infinite, Almighty, Ever-Living God any less of who He is? Somehow I doubt.

This person told me that if I wanted an answer, to read God's response to Job after his questioning, which is basically, "Where were YOU when I created the universe?"

Leaving behind my uneasiness regarding the concept of sola scriptura, I picked up my Bible and read a little. And after reading it in the context of the rest of the book, I still have to ask: How can the conclusion of Job be taken as a divine mandate not to question? Earlier in the book, Job and his friends were attempting to set themselves up above God, thinking that they could explain away God's actions when God did not answer. This is what God was displeased with. He didn't like Job's self-righteousness, or his friends' judgments, but the questioning was never even the issue. God did not rebuke Job for questioning Him, but for overly emphasizing his own righteousness.

Job is not the only Biblical character to question God. The authors of the Psalms spent a great amount of time doing just that, and they are still read as holy writings today. Even Jesus quoted one of the Psalms as He died: "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" Surely, then, questioning the plan of God cannot be the sin it is made out to be.

I think that one reason that some are afraid to question God, to the point of considering it blasphemous, is that it is all too easy to live without questioning, simply accepting everything that happens as "part of God's Almighty Plan." For those who do, this is all well and good, except there is no growth in the comfort found there. Sincerely asking "Why" is not a sin, and sometimes, answers can be found. And maybe the answer sometimes is, "You could not possibly begin to comprehend."

We are the things that question.

We are the only ones here who question. If we do not do it, it will not be done. And if it is not to be done, then why can we do it?

Romans 9:20 (NIV)
But who are you, O man, to talk back to God?
Shall what is formed say to him who formed it,
"Why did you make me like this?"1

Romans 11:33-34 (NIV)
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments and his paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?"

Who are we to question God? By nature God is bigger than all of us. He knows everything! But maybe the question isn't even "who are we to question God?", but "why question God?" I don't mean we should pretend that we understand everything He does and says, or that we don't ask Him questions. But, the one thing you can trust implicitly in this life is God. His love for us is bigger and more perfect than we can fathom. I just don't see any reason to doubt Him.

1Isaiah 29:16; 45:9

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.