For any question which evaluates to "Why is everybody exactly like me?", the correct answer is, "They aren't".


And so on, and so forth. If you waste much time on Slashdot or any other "geek culture"-infested forum, you'll be subjected to an incredible amount of this gibberish. Staring at one's own navel is a lousy way to learn anything worth knowing.

Another way to look at it is to take a step back and ask the question: Why am I exactly like everybody else?

Memes tend to travel in packs. Where you find one you'll find others, because the people that introduce you to Magic: The Gathering are often the same people that introduce you to Dungeons and Dragons and Anime. Hell, if you're sitting here on everything think and get a clue, while there are all sorts of people on everything, the average everythingian is not the standard american. How did you learn about everyting? Through Slashdot or did a friend tell you? The person from whom you learned about everything is going to have picked up other memes, probably of the geek flavor.

You are who you are, and you associate with the people you associate with. They're pretty much inextricable. There are exceptions, naturally, but please -- how much free will do you REALLY have?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.