Lineup subject to change, performers subject to sex change!

New York's famed drag festival, held annually from 1984 to 2001. In 1995 it was the subject of the full-length feature film Wigstock: The Movie, produced by Samuel Goldwyn, and in 2001 was featured in a sixty-minute documentary produced by E! Latin America. Wigstock has been featured in programs on CNN, BBC Television, and MTV News, as well as in Vanity Fair, Newsweek, the Village Voice and Screw Magazine. Wigstock has played host to performances by RuPaul, Debbie Harry, the B-52's, and a live appearance by Hedwig and the Angry Inch (courtesy John Cameron Mitchell).

Timeline

The End
In 1999 and 2000, Wigstock continued to charge for admission but had poor turnout due to bad weather. At the start of 2001, the festival was no less than $25,000 in debt, and organizers decided that if they could not raise $75,000 in sponsorship by May 1, they would not continue. At the deadline, they had obtained less than ten percent of their goal. Lady Bunny said "...people think we're rolling in it, but the first Wigstock cost under $1,000. Now we're up to $120,000. It's pretty insane." In an interview published in the Washington Blade, Bunny said, "Some tears will be shed. Wigstock is my claim to fame. It's my baby. It's hard to give up. It really is. I just don't see that there's a choice."

Official website: http://www.wigstock.nu/

Sources: official website and Washington Blade article "The Last Blow-Out" by Mark J. Huisman, published August 31, 2001. Article online at http://www.washblade.com/point/010831b.htm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.